Expeditions: Rome - Dev Diary #18 - Battle Improvements

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Logic Artists posted a new dev diary entry revealing upcoming improvements for the legion battle system. As said in the last Twitch stream, this will not be included in the next patch but later.

DevDiary 18 - Legion Battle Improvements

Ave, and welcome to our 18th dev diary - the second after the release of Expeditions: Rome. As we mentioned last week, the first major update is currently undergoing testing. We were hoping to release it last week, but QA did their jobs well and found a new issue that had slipped into the game due to one of our stability fixes, so we had to push the patch until this week so we could get that fixed first and give QA time to re-test the build.

In the meantime, those of us not already working on the first piece of DLC have set our sights on a much-requested set of improvements to a certain system in the game, namely the legion battles.

The legion battle system has been a challenge right from the start. We knew we wanted to represent the large-scale battles of a Roman legion somehow, and give the player a feeling of being a grand strategy commander handing out orders from on high, but at the same time we didn't want to cram a whole wargame into our tactical RPG. During the prototyping phase we intended battles to simply be resolved by a die roll based on the strength of each army - but it seemed too simple. Later we briefly considered representing it by a re-interpretation of a Roman dice game called Tali - but we decided that would be far too abstract. We knew we needed to do something that would sell the fantasy without ballooning out of scope to take over the whole project.

[...]

We'd love to hear what you think of these changes. Please leave your comments and questions below and we will be guaranteed to read them. We will as always have a Dev Stream on Twitch this Wednesday, February 9th at 1:00 PM Eastern / 6:00 PM GMT at http://twitch.tv/thqnordic, where Senior Producer Brad Logston will host Creative Director Jonas Wæver to talk about our plans for this system and what other things we're working on for future updates. We will answer any questions left on this diary, and we'll of course try to answer any other questions you throw at us during the stream.

Until then, Valete!
More information.

The legion battles are a bit odd. Through the first 2 Acts, I don't think I have ever come close to losing a battle. Even when I've picked a commander with less experience and fewer specialities, choosing stratagems simply because I haven't used them before, winning has still been quite easy.

The only real challenge to it, has been reaching that "1200" limit, where the enemy army doesn't retreat but is instead completely destroyed.

Lol, I kind of wish they had done it like this instead:
https://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/centurion-defender-of-rome/screenshots/gameShotId,41473/

If my memory is correct, in that old game the battles were decently challenging.

Last edited:
The legion battles are a bit odd. Through the first 2 Acts, I don't think I have ever come close to losing a battle. Even when I've picked a commander with less experience and fewer specialities, choosing stratagems simply because I haven't used them before, winning has still been quite easy.

The only real challenge to it, has been reaching that "1200" limit, where the enemy army doesn't retreat but is instead completely destroyed.

Yes, and the dilemma - should we chase them or celebrate and regain some morale? ;) My difficulty in act 1 was keeping the army experience, which first increased but went back to zero no matter what stratagems were used. In act 2 it doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

I'm happy with the idea of a simple battle system instead of something more complex with moving pieces and so on, but I'm glad they intend to clarify the system because it was confusing.

I hope they'll clarify the tactical combat at some point, crafting items feels like groping in the dark with all the parameters. For example, the base damage shown on the weapons is meaningless, yet it's used in the comparison.

Yes, and the dilemma - should we chase them or celebrate and regain some morale? ;) My difficulty in act 1 was keeping the army experience, which first increased but went back to zero no matter what stratagems were used. In act 2 it doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

I'm happy with the idea of a simple battle system instead of something more complex with moving pieces and so on, but I'm glad they intend to clarify the system because it was confusing.

I hope they'll clarify the tactical combat at some point, crafting items feels like groping in the dark with all the parameters. For example, the base damage shown on the weapons is meaningless, yet it's used in the comparison.

With the "morale issue", I worked my legion up to around 90-110 morale and then I just tried to keep it somewhat steady at that level. Not really sure if that level is ideal or not but it certainly seems to work.

I have no issues with a simple legion-combat system either, as long as it's entertaining.

I feel kind of curious what that "Abstract Roman Game" would have been like. Or alternatively, if they had resolved it with something similar to "Gwent" from TW3. That might have been fun as well.

Crafting and inventory management could certainly do with some improvements.

I'm not even sure if it's possible to check what some resource like "naphta" or "weighted blades" are useful for, unless you're already at your camp in the crafting interface. Although, it's possible that I just missed where to look for that info.

Anyway, I'm really eager to see what changes they manage to fit into this big patch.

I'm not even sure if it's possible to check what some resource like "naphta" or "weighted blades" are useful for, unless you're already at your camp in the crafting interface. Although, it's possible that I just missed where to look for that info.

I didn't find that either, I think it's just meant to work the other way by telling us what is required from what we want to craft. I bought a few blades guessing it would be useful but it's not usual to proceed like this in games.

Logic Artists like to let the players find out a few things on their own, which is nice... in general. ;) Someone will surely write a guide eventually.

Since there is not much to buy in the game and money is easy to come by, you should always buy everything that is on offer (especially anything equipment). So far there was nothing useless.

Back
Top Bottom