Bethesda Softworks - Bye Launcher, Migration to Steam

Redglyph

proud GASP member
Bethesda announced their games would migrate to Steam and their launcher would end this year.

SUNSETTING THE BETHESDA.NET LAUNCHER & MIGRATING TO STEAM

We're saying goodbye to the Bethesda.net Launcher this year. Starting in early April you'll be able to migrate your games and Wallet to your Steam account. For more details on what this process will look like, read on.

We're saying goodbye to the Bethesda.net Launcher this year. We would like to thank you for your support and assure you that all of your games are safe. If you're not playing PC games through the Bethesda.net launcher then your work is done here. Thanks for reading! If you do have games through the Bethesda.net launcher, don't worry. Starting in early April you'll be able to migrate your games and Wallet to your Steam account. For more details on what this process will look like, read on.

You have plenty of time to plan and begin migrating your Bethesda.net library to your Steam account. The migration to Steam will include your game library and Wallet - meaning you will not lose anything from your Bethesda.net account. Many games will also have their saves migrated, with a few requiring some manual transfers. For games that require it, you will still use your Bethesda.net login to sign in to play. Your Bethesda.net account will not be lost and will still be accessible on our website and in-game, and we will continue supporting all Bethesda.net accounts with our future titles.

[...]
More information.

Good news, yeah! One less game launcher that I wasn't using anyway and that won't be missed.

Also means by extension than the lock and monetization of the mods Bethesda was so keen to impose for its last games is done and dusted.

Never used it, never even would have considered installing such a thing on my computer. Just strikes me as common sense that this would happen, they should all fold into GoG or Steam, at some point. Hang out where your audience is, don't make it more difficult for the consumer to use your resources. Again, common sense and fairly basic consumerism.

Yep after they closed down the creation engine mod store it was just a matter of time before Bethesda closed down the launcher. Might have to do with Gamepass as well.

Yep after they closed down the creation engine mod store...

I just checked my Skyrim Anniversary and the Creation Club store is still very much alive and kicking. Did they only get rid of it in the USA?

I just checked my Skyrim Anniversary and the Creation Club store is still very much alive and kicking. Did they only get rid of it in the USA?
Hmm weird cause the reason cited for the new version of Skyrim was the creation store was finished. As they included almost every DLC on the store in the new version.

If I remember you needed an account and the launcher for those mods?o_O

I just used a no-cd that bypassed the online part myself.:biggrin:

(Anyway I could be wrong)

It probably had more to do with selling far fewer keys for that platform compared to Steam. They finally realized no one wanted to use it.

My guess is that Microsoft looked at it, decided it didn't fit into their plans, and killed it. Microsoft intends to compete with Steam via Gamepass, not by setting up a rival storefront.

I think Microsoft wants to compete in both markets i.e. buy once and subscription. They probably have the best subscription service currently available for PC (Gamepass) but Windows Store lags far behind Steam/Epic Games/GoG etc for PC games. Until that changes a good strategy would be to get on as many of the big stores as possible.

Will we eventually end up with only one game launcher I wonder? A game monopoly wouldn't be a good thing for us.

+1 to everyone who said good riddance

Back
Top Bottom