7. Gloomhaven
  8. The Forgotten City
  9. The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante
  10. Vagrus The Riven Realms
Remasters, Remakes & PC Ports - top 5

1. Nioh 2: The Complete Edition
  2. Geneforge 1 - Mutagen
  3. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster
  4. NieR Replicant(tm) ver.1.22474487139...
  5. SpellForce 3 Reforced

More information.

First time I've taken a serious look at Chronicles of Myrtana, wow. If I ever play Gothic II again, will definitely have to try it out. Also nice to see Gloomhaven on there.

I thought it was weird that I never heard about The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos. Then I found out it's a mod for an old game. Meh...

It's not a bad idea to separate the remasters & remakes. Fair for the other games.
Yes, I also like this thought.
However it opens the door for other categories. I like our simple approach.

Yes, I also like this thought.
However it opens the door for other categories. I like our simple approach.

Yep - a mod is a kind of remake as well - so The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos doesn't belong into the first list.

Yep - a mod is a kind of remake as well - so The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos doesn't belong into the first list.

They really didn't want to see WotR in first place :lol:

"No 1 : The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos"

RPG Codex, is most of their membership german or something?

I don't entirely understand how the results are achieved, but if you look at the spreadsheet, far more people here voted for Wrath than for Archolos. There's some kind of positive/negative measurement that seems to massively affect the rankings.

Iirc they consider if a voter has actually played a game. So it's kind of a relative voting.

Iirc they consider if a voter has actually played a game. So it's kind of a relative voting.

Huh? When I voted, I don't remember having to notify anyone whether I'd played it. I would hope that nobody is voting for games they haven't played, though I'm not naive enough to think that never happens.

Hm... perhaps I'm mixing something up or they've changed their system.

So say 100 people play Game W: 60 love it, 20 like it, 20 hate it. Only 20 people play Game M: 18 people love it, 2 people like it. Even though far more people loved W, a higher percent of people who played M loved it.

The system here (and most places) will give the win to W. I believe the Codex system will give the award to M instead of W.

Both numbers are interesting, IMHO. Codex's system helps remove the marketing hype. The classic system tells you what is actually making the most people happy.

So say 100 people play Game W: 60 love it, 20 like it, 20 hate it. Only 20 people play Game M: 18 people love it, 2 people like it. Even though far more people loved W, a higher percent of people who played M loved it.

The system here (and most places) will give the win to W. I believe the Codex system will give the award to M instead of W.
That's the general concept at the Codex, but not exactly, because as you can see their numbers are further massaged with the "Bayesian average" which tends to reduce the score (average) of games that not many people played.

If you look at their raw data for this year, and try to translate it over to the RPGWatch GOTY approach, then it looks like PF:WOTR would have easily won their GOTY. Trudograd and Solasta would be in a battle for 2nd and 3rd, and Chronicles of Myrtana miles behind in 4th.

Last edited:

How are we determining whether each person here (or each voter?) liked, loved or hated a game? I vaguely remember something about counting post mentions... is that related? Is someone or someones scouring the website for each mention of a game and making a judgment of whether it was a positive, neutral or negative post? If one person makes, say, 40 comments that are negative about a game (as Nereida may have with WOTR), are they counted as one negative or 40 negatives?

Back
Top Bottom