HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RPS reports that Elite Dangerous console development will be canceled:

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey cancels console development to focus on PC

Because it still needs fixing

Space sim Elite Dangerous has gone to the dogs since its latest expansion, Odyssey. It launched in May 2021 in a sorry state and, while developers Frontier have been fixing it up, it's still a mess now. This week Frontier announced that to help focus their efforts on fixing Odyssey, they're cancelling the yet-unreleased console version. Good news for us on PC, I suppose, but oof! "This was not an easy decision to make, but it was made with the long-term future of Elite Dangerous in mind," Frontier frontman David Braben said.

[...]
Thanks Henriquejr!

More information.

I haven't played ED for a very long time - even longer for the C64 version.

It was good, except it required way too much time to get more interesting ships, the progression is too slow. The comment from one of the reviewers illustrates that quite well: "With nearly 1000 hours in ED I'm not a "hardcore" player by any means.". I certainly haven't played that long, far from it, but I stopped because of the grind, it quickly becomes repetitive.

Anyone played ED: Odyssey? It seems to have a lot of problems.

If they make it single player like the previous Elites, I'll play it. :D

I vaguely remember the first Elite for the commodore 64, which I played quite a bit, then tried one of the sequels in DOS some years later. I'm not sure I'd care for this style as much as I used to, so if anyone here gives it a try, please share thoughts.

I would have backed this game it they didn't pull that crap about offering an offline version, and then later do a reversal requiring you to play on a server.

Got a refund instead.:)

You can play completely single player.
Just needing internet as the save is in Frontier servers.

I would have backed this game it they didn't pull that crap about offering an offline version, and then later do a reversal requiring you to play on a server.

Got a refund instead.:)

I remember the controversy, and not everyone could get a refund. I got interested by this game shortly after they announced it; it made me hesitate for a while.

I had other games with the same silly requirement, allegedly to protect the game against piracy, without even a temporary offline mode. For example R3E (racing sim), and their server was (still is?) always down for hours or days every time a new module was released, because of the surge of players. Hopefully Frontier doesn't have this issue.

You can play completely single player.
Just needing internet as the save is in Frontier servers.
Doesn't matter at this point it's ancient history. Fact is they did do a bait and switch on backers and that matters. I will never forgot or buy any of their future games.
I remember the controversy, and not everyone could get a refund. I got interested by this game shortly after they announced it; it made me hesitate for a while.
Yep you had a deadline to get the refund and they claimed they didn't have to give some backers the money back. It was just more bad PR that soured me on this developer.

Luckily I went over their heads and got my pledge money back from my bank.

Nod, I recall checking out the pitch for the project, then strongly considered that I don't gravitate to this style much anymore, so didn't kick in. Still something I might grab on sale, especially if I watch someone playing it at some point and it appeals more than I initially thought it might.

I've thought about giving ED a try, but I doubt it's for me. I have a hard time getting into games where the primary focus of the gameplay revolves around building an economy. I think it looks more fun than I would actually find it to be.

Back
Top Bottom