Jade Empire: SE - Review @ Mortismal Gaming

I remember getting Jade Empire in a fancy steel box, and I remember it being pretty good. I also appreciated the uniqueness of the setting. Are there any other martial arts themed RPGs at all?

If I were to re-buy it, I would probably get it on GOG rather than Steam. GOG actually seem to care if the games they sell work.

I remember getting Jade Empire in a fancy steel box, and I remember it being pretty good. I also appreciated the uniqueness of the setting. Are there any other martial arts themed RPGs at all?

That could have been Five Fingers of Death, a project that BioWare started before Jade Empire, which was implementing Kung-Fu combats, but it was cancelled and evolved later into Jade Empire. Then there was the Jade Empire 2 / Revolver ideas, but cancelled too.

Sleeping Dogs has a martial art theme, though it's an urban setting and even more an action RPG, vaguely like GTA with martial art (but more interesting mechanics).

EDIT: I remember the fancy box too :) We're such easy preys.

Last edited:
I remember getting Jade Empire in a fancy steel box,

Me, too.

Unbelievable in this current age of downloading.
In which even boxes are sold for downloading ...

Me, too.

Unbelievable in this current age of downloading.
In which even boxes are sold for downloading ...
Soon you can buy and own boxed game NFT's in the metaverse :) Exactly the same as the real thing, even better! You can't loose it.

I was years late to the party in playing this one, yet when I did I enjoyed practically every moment! I always hoped we'd see a worthy sequel to this fine game.

I still have my boxed copy somewhere. It was an interesting game. Not something I'd go out of my way to replay, but it was fun enough. I still remember those arcade shooting sequences they mixed in which was really bizarre for a Bioware title.

The game was fun and to this day I have no idea why it didn't spawn a few sequels.
Wouldn't mind a reboot of a sort, just no remaster please.

Reasonably good game that was hard to digest due to the lame setting, much as is the case with asian themed Soulslike games. Kinda worth playing once when it was released, and worth never looking back at it ever again.

Soulslike games?
The QTE2.0 trash is still selling?
I'd rather buy EA's FIFA lootboxes, sounds more fun.

I enjoyed Jade Empire when it was first released, especially the plot twist which floored me.

images

I liked the setting, but hated the combat and thought that the arcade sequences were some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen squeezed into an RPG. I didn't get far.

However, I'm a lot more open minded about RPGs these days so I'd at least have a look at any re-make/master. Preferably minus the arcade bits.

I liked the setting, but hated the combat and thought that the arcade sequences were some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen squeezed into an RPG. I didn't get far.

I also hated combat in JE but I did manage to finish it. For me, it was very meh - it has a rarer settng and there were some fun moments but ultimately, it was very forgettable.

Soulslike games?
The QTE2.0 trash is still selling?
I'd rather buy EA's FIFA lootboxes, sounds more fun.

Aroo?

I'm just saying the eastern setting made Jade Empire a worse game than it could have been, as it usually does to most other RPGs. I'm okay with your preferences. I would probably play GoldBox games over buying FIFA lootboxes, and that's saying a lot.

The game was fun and to this day I have no idea why it didn't spawn a few sequels.
Wouldn't mind a reboot of a sort, just no remaster please.

Your alive! So good to see a post from you @joxer;, I really missed seeing you around :)

More on topic this is one of the few Bioware games I never played. Sometimes consider it but I have too many new games I am interested in to go back in time these days.

Jade Empire at it's release was a decent RPG, and BioWare deserves credit for releasing something different. The combat though was basically modified from KoToR.

I'm guessing sales weren't great as the two followup games were both canceled.:(

Back
Top Bottom