General News - SSI Goldbox and other RPGs released on Steam

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Blue's News reports that the old RPGs of SSI are now available on Steam:

The Games:

• Forgotten Realms: The Archives Collection One (Eye of the Beholder I, II, and III)
  • Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection Two (Curse of the Azure Bonds, Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Hillsfar, Pools of Darkness, Pool of Radiance, Secret of the Silver Blades, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, and Unlimited Adventures)
  • Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection Three (Dungeon Hack, Menzoberranzan)
  • Krynn series (Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn, The Dark Queen of Krynn)
  • Dark Sun series (Shattered Lands, Wake of the Ravager)
  • Ravenloft series (Strahd's Possession, Stone Prophet)
  • D&D Stronghold: Kingdom Simulator
  • Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse
Thanks Redglyph!

More information.

...and only "slightly" over-priced. I wonder who owns the franchise these days?

Good question and yes, the price point does seem a little inflated. And still difficult to credit that these haven't been available on steam for, say, the past decade or more. It's about darn time!

The complete collection seems like the best value although to be honest I won't buy till the discount is a bit chunkier i.e. 60%.

I already have them all in boxed copies I just no longer have the floppy drives to play them ;) I also have most of them on GoG.

The steam versions do actually have some enhancements from what I read as I don't think the GoG versions come prebunded with some of the helper apps or has that changed?

Nod, I have them on great old games already, will likely grab them again on Steam at some point simply to reward good behaviour. And I don't believe the GoG versions have some of the changes that are supposed to be in the steam releases. Or at least they didn't when I played through most of them a few years back.

I really hope someone in the community can comment on the launcher and baked in helper apps. Is it anything different than the GOG versions and downloading the apps?

I will get these in some Humble Bundle for $1 in a few months. Just to make a point about which games are not worth more than $1 in 2022.

Back
Top Bottom