Non-RPG General News - Next Tomb Raider Game announced

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Wccftech reports that the next Tomb Raider game will use the Unreal 5 engine:

Tomb Raider Series' Next Entry in Development at Crystal Dynamics Using Unreal Engine 5

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

It's been a while since we've heard from Lara Croft, with 2018's Shadow of the Tomb Raider being the last entry in her series, but obviously, the franchise was going to return one way or another. Well, today during Epic Games' State of Unreal Keynote livestream, it was officially announced that the next entry in the Tomb Raider series is in the works and is being developed using Unreal Engine 5. Not a lot of specific information was shared, but here's what Crystal Dynamics' Tomb Raider general manager had to say about the new UE5-powered project...

[...]
Thanks Redglyph!

More information.

Maybe even more overkill graphics can add some spice to what for me has become very routine and boring. But I doubt it. I've never been THAT much about graphics. One can only do the most ridiculously contrived and impossible to exist content/puzzles in existence so many times without losing the ability to suspend disbelief.

Oh look, I'm climbing up a rock wall with pickaxes for the quadrillionth time - but this time it's in ultra, ultra, so realistic it's better than your sad life HD. Ok dokie.

I got tired of Tomb Raider a long time ago, and tbh, I've always been a little surprised it's stayed as popular as it has.

Give us an announcement about Deus Ex.

I've only played the first of the new series, long after playing any of the old one. I found the new formula well done, more physical and gruesome, but the "puzzles" are sometimes too reminiscent of the old formula. They seem to exist for their own sake and not as a natural obstacle.

I much enjoyed the first two reboot but the last one i found really quite awful. It was very much like an interactive movie and less like a real game as the previous two. If this next one is like the last one i will give up on the series.

I've only played the first of the new series, long after playing any of the old one. I found the new formula well done, more physical and gruesome, but the "puzzles" are sometimes too reminiscent of the old formula. They seem to exist for their own sake and not as a natural obstacle.

Seems Crystal Dynamics are cursed to make Tomb Raider games forever. Yeah, good job square-enix. Don't bother making something original, or maybe a remake of the original Legacy of Kain games, which square-enix has been sleeping on for an eternity. Just churn out tomb raider games forever.

I liked the rebooted TR trilogy (at least I finished the first one, and got very far into the second. Never touched the third), but enough is enough. Seems the only they'll have them do something else is if they screw up their next Tomb Raider game. Fucking corporations.

Played the original two back in the day, yet know for a fact I'd not enjoy them now and likely won't delve into the newer ones either. Even if they were free, simply not my cuppa these days.

Back
Top Bottom