Citizen Sleeper - Review @ TheGamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
TheGamer checked out Citizen Sleeper:

Citizen Sleeper Review: Are We Human Or Are We Sleeper?

A beautifully written and thought provoking narrative RPG

It's been a long time since I looked up from a game and found myself awake in the wee hours of the morning, on a work night no less. Instead of doing the sensible thing - closing my laptop and going to bed - however, I clicked 'end cycle' and spent another day on the Eye. You know the feeling: the night is dark and the dim glow of your screen lights up your face as you peer into the world of Citizen Sleeper.

It takes a special kind of game to turn me into a night gremlin. I don't remember the last game that did. Games that keep you up all night need to be the perfect storm, everyone's criteria for which will differ - an all-nighter feels like it speaks to you, personally. But Citizen Sleeper is a special kind of game.

[...]

I'll close the curtain on the behind-the-scenes look at games criticism and I won't spoil any more of Citizen Sleeper, but this review in particular was a joy to write. More specifically, Citizen Sleeper is a joy to play. The Eye is crammed with wonderful stories, and it feels like it's truly bustling with activity - far more than any Triple-A open world populated with soulless NPCs going about their same daily routines. The simple visuals allow your mind to fill in the gaps like a good book, and it's a testament to Jump Over the Age's storytelling that it manages to create such a rich world. I already know that I'll pop back to the Eye for the rest of the year, maybe longer, just to experience stories I missed, to see how different decisions play out, but mostly just to spend more time there, soaking up the atmosphere in an obsolete body as I absentmindedly peoplewatch over a steaming pot of noodles.

Score: 5/5

More information.

Back
Top Bottom