General News - A Talk about Armor Systems

Pretty interesting actually. He breaks down the system in Pillars of Eternity and why he made certain changes in PoE II because of it. He also talks about the systems in Dark Souls and the Fallout series among others.

Last edited:
This was an interesting video, I agree that if you make any system too complicated or unintuitive it can become too frustrating to determine what is the best option. The tuff part I think designers must face how to give feedback to the players with out information overload.

Interesting that developer has yet used "magic" as an definition why so-called "skimpy armor" (with lots of body parts NOT covered) works as well as full plate ...

And also interesting is, that this kind of armor only appears for female characters. One could say that people within settings are sexist as ewell, as they produce in-setting "look-through armor" only for female people in the in-setting worlds ...

And if i follow this "train of thought", then I'd have to say that developers - who develop these rather "eye candy armor" don't know mucbh about ARMOR equality ...
(Apart from necessities like different body parts to be protected for male bodies and for female bodies.)

Isn't it also strange that main characters in games always get scars in all the nice places? Like across the eye or the chest, in a way that looks cool and intimidating. And the male protagonists, always have perfectly sculpted jaws, and are somehow extremely successful at getting the women they want, despite being generally dull and onedimensional.

Everything, in general, is so aesthetically appealing. So many monsters are anthropomorphic, and even beasts manage to look like cool versions of existing predators, always in their perfect weight, at the peak point in their lives. It's almost as if… it was a fantasy setting meant to appeal to aesthetic concepts ingrained the modern western cultures, made by people who belong to modern western cultures, targetting people who belong to modern western cultures.

Back
Top Bottom