Non-RPG General News - A Plague Tale: Requiem - Official Extended Gameplay Trailer

A Plague Tale: Innocence was fantastic, although they went a little overboard near the end.

When I played it two years ago, I really wasn't expecting much from this lower budget game from an unknown French developer, but I was pleasantly surprised. You play as a teenage girl trying to save your sick little brother during the Black Plague. For some odd reason, it felt like a cross between Thief and Life Is Strange.

Asobo Studio's custom-built engine drew praise from Digital Foundry for rendering thousands of individual rats on screen at once. Microsoft certainly took notice and wisely chose Asobo to develop their latest MS Flight Simulator.

For those with GamePass for PC or console, it is a must play game.
I am really looking forward to Requiem and vow not to let it fall into my ever growing backlog!

I enjoyed it, a good story well told, if perhaps a little too linear.

I did get stuck and had to watch a couple of youtubes. I will probably wait for the price to drop before I buy.

Asobo Studio's custom-built engine drew praise from Digital Foundry for rendering thousands of individual rats on screen at once. Microsoft certainly took notice and wisely chose Asobo to develop their latest MS Flight Simulator.

That's something that puzzled me when I heard they were chosen for MSFS2020. But it's not what happened apparently, they had worked with Microsoft before on a project for the Kinect called Hololens (see interview).

Although I don't know which engine parts MSFS2020 is using, I doubt it's the same as Asobo used for the first instalment of A Plague Tale. Flight simulators have very different requirements, and are often a mix of different engines for the ground, the models, the clouds, atmospheric effects, physics, system modelling, and so on.

Umm, a question: If the games are set in 14th century France, why do all the voice actors speak with British accents and not French accents?

Umm, a question: If the games are set in 14th century France, why do all the voice actors speak with British accents and not French accents?
Hmm…you mean like every other RPG set in different places and history speak English as well? It's quite simple because it's the global standard and other excuses.

"Do you speak Common?" "Of course I do! Everyone speaks Common.."

From what I can see, the voice actors are pretty mixed...French, English, Scottish, Irish, etc. The studio is French though which does make it seem a little curious.

That's something that puzzled me when I heard they were chosen for MSFS2020.

Asobo's in-house engine utilized unique instancing tech to render thousands of individual rats on screen at once. I suspect Microsoft had them adapt it to render thousands of trees and buildings. You'd have to overcome similar memory and processing constraints with each.

Asobo's in-house engine utilized unique instancing tech to render thousands of individual rats on screen at once. I suspect Microsoft had them adapt it to render thousands of trees and buildings. You'd have to overcome similar memory and processing constraints with each.

As I said, not the same requirements.

No, it's a revamp of a Microsoft flight sim engine, see the video I put here for example where they discuss how they optimized it.

It may come from Dovetail's cancelled project but it has never been confirmed. IIRC they took the sources of FSX, adapted it to 64-bit environment and added features, a little like Lockheed Martin did with P3D but with the rights to use it for entertainment (which was forbidden in LM's licencing terms). It's a bit sad to see such a bad base being used in several sims, but they were not going to ask a licence to Austin Meyer (the designer of X-Plane) for a decent framework. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom