XEL - Review @ WTMG

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
WTMG has reviewed the action adventure XEL:

Review - XEL

XEL initially caught my eye with its bright and vibrant art style, not to mention taking inspiration from one of my favorite franchises, The Legend of Zelda. Not only is the inspiration prevalent, XEL's sci-fi theme helped set it apart from the others. Indies lately have been setting a bar for taking classic games and expanding upon them in very unique ways, and I had a feeling XEL would be another one to surprise.

Shipwrecked on the strange world of XEL, with a powerful stoned lodged in your forehead from the crash, you will encounter strange new powers and strange connections to the inhabitants of this world. Without any recollection of your former life or name, it is up to you to unravel the past and your connection to XEL. Naming yourself Reid for the time being, you will make new friends and foes, find new gadgets as well as being able to jump through time and space. As Reid delves deeper into the mysteries surrounding XEL, she discovers an endless cycle of peril.

[...]

At the end of the day, XEL is a game that is competent, has some good ideas, and enough gameplay elements to keep you playing. The sound design is well done and I do enjoy the simplistic art direction and its bright, popping color pallet. Unfortunately, it's a game that just needed more time in the oven to hammer out the bugs and glitches that really hold this back. There are some good ideas here, but the annoyances almost outweighed what it does do well.

Score: 5.5/10
More information.

Back
Top Bottom