The Accursed Crown of the Giant King - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The oldschool RPG The Accursed Crown of the Giant King has been released:

The Accursed Crown of the Giant King

"Your journey is at an end as you arrive in Greenvale, seeking adventure here in the north. The Unknown Duke Inn lies just to your north, but rather than the comforting sounds of a peaceful tavern, you hear screams and noises of violence."

Old School Role Playing Game

• Epic, classic-style fantasy adventure. Single player, controlling a main hero with a band of companions.
  • Real-time with pause gameplay, for complex tactical combat with full control.
  • Combines open-ended exploration with an overall quest. Dozens of locations and side-quests to explore and conquer.
  • Deep, complex role-playing system, inspired by popular paper-and-pencil role playing games.
  • Build the party of adventurers you want, with dozens of skills and powers, and hundreds of spells and items.
Ty the first chapter "Danger in Greenvale" for free, which includes a full adventure and conclusion. Continue your adventure by purchasing chapters 2-4.

More information.

Looks interesting and the first chapter is free, but I hate episodic games. :disappointed:

Looks interesting and the first chapter is free, but I hate episodic games. :disappointed:
I don't like it when not all episodes are available when I start playing, but I think in this case the game is complete with chapter 1-4.

Last edited:
I don't like it when not all episodes are availble when I start playing, but I think in this case the game is complete with chapter 1-4.
Good to now thanks. In that case I'll give it a try.

Well, I tried it, and it's really basic. Only 3 races and 3 classes to choose from. The graphics and interface are very simplistic, and I can't see this appealing to anyone outside of those looking for a retro experience. I didn't see anything deep or complex about the role-playing system, but to be fair, I didn't play very long.

$5 per chapter is probably too much imo. Maybe if it was $10 for all of them, and even then I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

Hi Geoff,
I was curious, do you plan to add any more classes in the future?
Hi Hulk,
No plans for more classes. ACotGK uses a hybrid class/skill system, so you should be able to create the equivalent of classes in other games, through a combination of both. For instance, if you want to play a paladin, play a Fighter but buy a Matter Magic skill and a Religion skill, in addition to the basic fighting skills.
Are there any particular character types that you're looking for that aren't currently supported?
Thanks,
Geoff

Hi Geoff,
I have not tried the game yet, I was just going by what JDR13 said above, in relation to him saying there was only 3 classes. I did not know about the hybrid class/skill system. But if you wanted to know, my favorite type of class is a magic using type that summons creatures to fight for him. One of my earliest experiences in that regard was Dark Age of Camelot. That was an mmorpg, not a single player crpg, but I really enjoyed the many classes that were able to summon various creatures to fight for them. Even the ability to summon ghostly warriors.

Hi Geoff,
I have not tried the game yet, I was just going by what JDR13 said above, in relation to him saying there was only 3 classes. I did not know about the hybrid class/skill system. But if you wanted to know, my favorite type of class is a magic using type that summons creatures to fight for him. One of my earliest experiences in that regard was Dark Age of Camelot. That was an mmorpg, not a single player crpg, but I really enjoyed the many classes that were able to summon various creatures to fight for them. Even the ability to summon ghostly warriors.
Hi Hulk,
There are a variety of options for spellcasters who summon minions to fight for them.
For wizards, who get the spells from scrolls via the Arcane Magic skill, the School of Elementalists is the most straightforward path; you can summon a variety of elementals who operate under your control. The School of Divination is a more dangerous but potentially more powerful option; they summon illusions and berserk monsters that can be very effective but trickier to use properly. The School of High Wizardry has some summon spells available as well but mostly at higher levels, so not the best option.
For priests, who get spells from their deity via the Religion skill, there are a number of options. Worship of both Tyr and especially Thunor give access to elemental summons. Worship of the Maiden grants access to the berserk cosmic creatures. Worship of the Mother is best for illusory summons. Really, Thunor is probably the best option for a straight-up summoner.
Lastly for sorcerers, who get their spells directly from skills, only the illusion magic is an option. Honestly I should probably revisit this option, and I think sorcerers don't get enough access to spells. So, hold off for a future version if a sorcerer-type is more to your liking.
Anyways, check the manual for more details, available on my website (prankster.com) or if you install the game.
Thanks,
Geoff

Hi Geoff,
Thanks for the lengthy and detailed reply. Sounds quite interesting. I wasn't expecting there to be so many options as far as summoning spells, since some games don't include any way to summon creatures to fight for you. Also, not used to being able to ask questions directly to game developers. I give you credit to making yourself accessible to the gamers here. I downloaded and installed the game from steam. Going to give it a try later to see what it is like, to get a feel for the game. I look forward to seeing what you are going to implement for sorcerers though. But from what you said, as it stands now, Divination magic looks most interesting to me so far based on the spells I see they have access to in the game manual.

This looks a lot like a game I played recently. Similar art and icons, and hybrid classes too. Black Geyser? I think.
Might be similar but I don't know if the developer used the Unity engine. Also you can buy and use the same assets online. So that might contribute to it looking the same as well.

This looks a lot like a game I played recently. Similar art and icons, and hybrid classes too. Black Geyser? I think.
I doubt you're thinking of Black Geyser because that doesn't look much like this. Also, this game doesn't have hybrid classes that I'm aware of.

I doubt you're thinking of Black Geyser because that doesn't look much like this. Also, this game doesn't have hybrid classes that I'm aware of.
Might be similar but I don't know if the developer used the Unity engine. Also you can buy and use the same assets online. So that might contribute to it looking the same as well.

Black Geyser has hybrid classes. You can select two (maybe three?) base classes while creating a character.

I think they look similar. I'm not saying any art was stolen, but the art style reminds me of each other. Especially the icons. Not the same, but the same style. I'll definitely check this game out. It would be nice to have a little discount for buying all three chapters together.

Black Geyser has hybrid classes. You can select two (maybe three?) base classes while creating a character.
Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to this game not Black Geyser when I said it didn't have hybrid classes
I think they look similar. I'm not saying any art was stolen, but the art style reminds me of each other. Especially the icons. Not the same, but the same style. I'll definitely check this game out. It would be nice to have a little discount for buying all three chapters together.
Really? Idk, I guess it's in the eye of the beholder, but I don't think they look very similar.

I finally was able to get time to give this game a try. Honest feeling I had about it, was retro style crpg from the DOS days, perhaps late 80's or early 90's. I created a spellcaster character, but found myself getting killed a lot. I don't really like the combat being real time with pause. In retro style games like this seems to be, I prefer turn based combat. I believe if turn based combat was an option, I might be able to survive better as a low level spellcaster, being able to stay out of range of melee combat. So, I decided to try creating a fighter character with heavy armor and high durability stat. That reduced the number of deaths(when the main character dies, you get teleported back to the starting town).
Another thing was, I ran into a problem on the map, found myself unable to find a way to get further than the town of old arvellion, though I could see there were towns further off that I was unable to get to. I also found myself unable to reach some of the quest objectives that looked to be off the beaten path.

Thanks for the feedback, Hulk. You've probably figured out the map thing by now, but you need to explore to the edge of areas to open up new map locations. Once you've established a path to the further locations, you'll be able to travel to them freely.

Back
Top Bottom