Batora: Lost Haven - Announced for Autumn 2022

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Game Luster checked out the upcoming action RPG Batora: Lost Haven:

Preview: Batora: Lost Haven - Getting To The Core

We've seen the story of teenagers who gain superpowers and save the world in every form of media. And when they are done right, they can become some of the most popular stories in pop culture. Batora: Lost Haven is another one of these stories, accompanied by fun gameplay, stunning visuals, and fantastic voice acting.

Developed by Stormind Game and published by Team17, Batora: Lost Haven is an upcoming sci-fi action RPG where we follow the story of Avril, who is given new powers by the deities of sun and moon in order to save the earth. I got the chance to play the game's demo on Steam, and even in the few hours I spent on Batora: Lost Haven, many promising features got me excited about it.

Batora: Lost Haven follows the story of Avril, a 16-year-old girl in a post-apocalyptic world. As she and her best friend Mila are exploring an abandoned city, she hears the strange voices of two deities call to her. The sun and the moon call to Avril to choose her as their champion, so she can save the universe. After a blackout, Avril and Mila are teleported to another planet. Mila is trapped underground, and Avril has to use her new powers to explore the world and save her.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

I see lots of excellent graphics, lots of fighting - but so far almost nothing regarding story.

Is it so that announcements do have to have combat animations to show in the first place ? Has the RPG world evolved so that story is only an afterthought ?

I might repeat myself, but my guess is that this is still Blizzard's influence, or even that legacy of table top war games (which I had hoped would be transcended at one point) : That an RPG is primarily about fighting. That an RPG could be about social interactions - and about xp earned by that - is something still unfamiliar to both companies & players, it seems.

I stopped reading at "teenagers".

Doesn't mean it's a bad game, but it doesn't look like something I'd be into.

Teenagers are still a huge part of the overall number of "gamers", right ?

Back
Top Bottom