The Last of Us Part 1 Remake

Price is absurd, but it looks like a quality remaster. Remake is a bit of a stretch, though.

Not to start an endless debate on what a remake vs remaster is, but I guess it most likely will. :D

Technically speaking and in my opinion, it is a remake, since they remade all the assets and/or ported/adapted some of the work from the original and it's running on TLOU2 engine. But otherwise, yeah, I guess it could be debated if it is or not. And anyone is free to have their own definition, I guess.

In my opinion, a game remaster is something that requires minimal rework in terms of assets, and is mostly adapting the code to run on modern systems and with small adjustments to resolution, runtime options and other small improvements.

If the assets are remade from scratch, which you absolutely can make a point that they have in this case, (most of them are likely made from scratch, except for the assets they likely took and adapted from TLOU2) and the engine under which it is running is new (which is also the case), I think you can easily make the point it is a remake. Because of these, for me it is easily a remake.

Not to start an endless debate on what a remake vs remaster is, but I guess it most likely will. :D

Technically speaking and in my opinion, it is a remake, since they remade all the assets and/or ported/adapted some of the work from the original and it's running on TLOU2 engine. But otherwise, yeah, I guess it could be debated if it is or not. And anyone is free to have their own definition, I guess.

In my opinion, a game remaster is something that requires minimal rework in terms of assets, and is mostly adapting the code to run on modern systems and with small adjustments to resolution, runtime options and other small improvements.

If the assets are remade from scratch, which you absolutely can make a point that they have in this case, (most of them are likely made from scratch, except for the assets they likely took and adapted from TLOU2) and the engine under which it is running is new (which is also the case), I think you can easily make the point it is a remake. Because of these, for me it is easily a remake.
I didn't actually know it was running on a modern engine, and in that case - I will have to concede it's arguably a remake :)

When I think remake, I tend to think of games that redo most things entirely - not adapt or improve them. Games like Resident Evil 2 or the System Shock Remake come to mind.

This game, based on videos alone, looks almost identical to the remaster apart from improved assets and accessibility options (that I happen to not care about in the slightest - and seems more like a political let's-win-cheap-points stuff).

In any case, I smell one big cash-grab - because there's absolutely no way a 70$ price-tag for a game that's so modestly improved from the remaster is justified.

But that's entirely subjective.

I didn't actually know it was running on a modern engine, and in that case - I will have to concede it's arguably a remake :)

When I think remake, I tend to think of games that redo most things entirely - not adapt or improve them. Games like Resident Evil 2 or the System Shock Remake come to mind.

This game, based on videos alone, looks almost identical to the remaster apart from improved assets and accessibility options (that I happen to not care about in the slightest - and seems more like a political let's-win-cheap-points stuff).

In any case, I smell one big cash-grab - because there's absolutely no way a 70$ price-tag for a game that's so modestly improved from the remaster is justified.

But that's entirely subjective.
To be honest I don't have or can't find confirmation as to what engine the remake uses. But considering the significant lighting engine changes, the way more detailed models, and other graphical improvements that I find it hard to believe they just worked on the almost 10 year old code-base. When they have the TLOU2 engine ready to go.

Plus, considering it's also coming to pc, it would make it a whole lot more sense to adapt the TLOU2 engine to also run on PC, which they can then leverage into also bringing Part 2 to PC. Though that is not confirmed. But I would be amazed if they won't bring it.

Indeed the $70 price point does sting a lot, for a game that's already been released 2 times. But as a new game, for someone who either hasn't played it yet, or will be picking it up on PC for the first time, I think it's appropriate. Personally, I do not think every game needs to be on a certain price point. There's a boatload of AAA games I do not think should be priced at 60-70 just because they're big budget games. But I guess there goes the idea that a game should be priced according to how much it cost to make. The system we're living it just pretends to take that into account, when in reality the price is as much as they can push it.

Just in terms of personal value I would price TLOU at a way higher price than most other games. It's one of the few games that goes so far beyond past what your regular game is able to achieve, that it's not even in the same league, I think. Anyway, indeed, all of this is entirely subjective.

That's fair enough - we all have different ways of determining value.

I can't claim that mine is set in stone - or that I'm entirely consistent with it.

That said, I do tend to take into account the perceived effort involved when I estimate what I think is a fair price.

Do note that when I say fair price, it doesn't necessarily mean a price I will pay - just that I think it's an appropriate amount of money to demand for a certain product.

I've paid both far more and far less for products than what I consider a fair price to be.

I think remake vs remaster is certainly debatable here. If the only changes are visual, I consider it a remaster. I can't say for sure that's the case here though until I learn more. It's possible there are going to be other changes they haven't revealed yet.

To me, just because something is ported to a new engine doesn't mean it automatically qualifies as a remake.

In this case, I think it's being called "remake" in part to justify that $70 price tag.

I see it's 80 EUR in Europe, at least for PS5... ouch. It's not a very long game apparently, a little over 20 hours in completionist, so I wonder how they'll manage to sell that.

They certainly seem to have dialed up the gore. I think they might have overdone it, to the point where it's more over-the-top than gritty.

I see it's 80 EUR in Europe, at least for PS5... ouch. It's not a very long game apparently, a little over 20 hours in completionist, so I wonder how they'll manage to sell that.
It's not terribly long, but I felt the length was just about perfect for what it is when I played the original.

Do you have a PS4 or PS5? If so, you can get the first remaster for $20. It's definitely worthwhile.

80 Euro? Haha, that's pretty rich.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it's a giant hit, though.

People tend to lose their minds when they're fans of shit.

I know people who own 4-5 versions of the same movie, and some of the fancier editions are easily 100$ each.

Also, everything Sony is doing seems to be about fleecing their fans - so it's obviously working for them.

It's almost Paradox/Creative Assembly-level of DLC greed.

It's not terribly long, but I felt the length was just about perfect for what it is when I played the original.

Do you have a PS4 or PS5? If so, you can get the first remaster for $20. It's definitely worthwhile.
No, I only have a PC. I'll just wait for the price to drop a little, I still have some backlog anyway.

If I remember well you were tempted to get a PS a few months ago, do you have one now?

Alright time to dust off my pirate hat as $80 is freaking hiliarious for a remastered game. Now if they included both games in one package for the PC then fine. It's worth it.

Not sure anyone could pay me enough to suffer through the Abby section of LoU2 again....

Alright time to dust off my pirate hat as $80 is freaking hiliarious for a remastered game. Now if they included both games in one package for the PC then fine. It's worth it.
What you'll get is the game and a fresh instance of the Denuvo DRM, if that counts. ;)

(yes, I'm quite fixated on that, I know...)

What you'll get is the game and a fresh instance of the Denuvo DRM, if that counts. ;)

(yes, I'm quite fixated on that, I know...)
Didn't know they were implementing Denuvo. Anyway It'll be cracked eventually based on the scene releases. As Denuvo is crack-able just takes longer due to so many triggers.

You can always emulate the PS3 version for free though. :biggrin:

The last Sony game I bought Days Gone didn't have Denuvo. God of War didn't either.

Back
Top Bottom