Tyrant's Blessing - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Waytoomanygames checked out the tactical RPG Tyrant's Blessing:

Review - Tyrant's Blessing

The tactical RPG is tried and true at this point. Games like Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Triangle Strategy have all made their mark within the genre without making any truly drastic changes. Tyrant's Blessing looks to make small tweaks to how everything works, and create a challenging and interesting experience. On top of being a tactical RPG, Tyrant's Blessing is also a rogue-lite, which highly incentives the idea of try and try again to really succeed.

Fire Emblem made its mark by giving the player a grid to move characters around, positioning (in-front, behind, beside) didn't matter, but an understanding of their weapon triangle did. Final Fantasy Tactics and Triangle Strategy aimed to build on this by adding position advantages. Shooting an arrow from above, or being behind an enemy is better than trying to attack head on. Tyrant's Blessing takes a slightly more interesting take on all of this, and with the right team, a proper understanding of abilities, and a little bit of luck, it's possible to get through most, if not all fights undamaged.

[...]

Tyrant's Blessing is one of the most interesting tactical RPGs in recent times. Everything throughout the game is looking to make this genre more interesting than it's been before. There are blemishes in the game for sure, a lack of map variety for starters, or the sheer repetition in the mission variety, but they don't make it any less enjoyable. This is a perfect start to what could be a long lasting series, hopefully with the building blocks in place Tyrant's Blessing can start to show how to not just make another Fire Emblem clone.

Score: 9.0
More information.

I did all the writing, character backgrounds, etc for this.

I did all the writing, character backgrounds, etc for this.
I was about to make a snide comment because I thought it looked liked yet another Japanese FF:T clone at first glance. :)

So you work for Mercury Game Studio? I'm glad you mentioned that. I've added this to my wishlist and I'll check out the demo as soon as I have time. (y)

He's more of a freelancer and works on multiple games. ^^

One thing in favor of the game is it's original story.

Back
Top Bottom