Gothic 3 - Parallel Universe Patch Fixes Performance

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Click4Gameplay reports on the community efforts around Gothic 3 to improve its playability and announces that a fix to the stuttering problem has finally been achieved thanks to the Parallel Universe Patch. He also explains the continued work going into the Community Story Project.

0:00 Hello there my RPG lovers :)
0:05 Parallel Universe Patch did the unthinkable
1:49 Sponsor Segment: Hero Wars
3:25 Community Story Project
11:18 Outro

[...]

A video showcasing the performance improvements:

More information.

I'd love to go through the game with this again, but they really need to fix the combat. The first two had a certain timing, a subtlety to the combat that was almost a little rhythm game you needed to learn. The 3rd was just "spastically hitting the attack button"

Gothic 3 isn't fixable unfortunately. You can't tweak what isn't there.

And what is there isn't any interesting.

To be honest the Gothic formula maybe only viable on a self-contained island, and not the continent that G3 is set. It needs some kind of story element to contain the narrative in a small landmass with densely-packed gameplay. Too big and it's too costly to fill it with enugh gameplay, and the depth of that gameplay may very well be shallow and repetitive - all problems G3 suffered from.

Me on the other-hand I'm tired of playing the game and reading about it. The Gothic games are held up to holy bible status on this niche site, and it's sometimes hilarious.

Even the developer remind me of old jocks living on past glory as well.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Was stuttering really still an issue for a lot of people? I can't say I noticed it the last few times I messed around with Gothic 3. At least not since I switched to using SSDs.

I, on the other hand, love Gothic 3 patched up. I've finished it 3x. Great exploration and itemization. Also, enjoyed the story.
I've still never managed to finish G3 to this day. I've attempted two full playthroughs and started numerous shorter plays just to fiddle around with it.

I get burned out before the end. Maybe next time I'll just focus on the main quest and try to ignore all the fetch or kill sidequests. I usually stop playing in Nordmar which I've always found really boring.

Was stuttering really still an issue for a lot of people? I can't say I noticed it the last few times I messed around with Gothic 3. At least not since I switched to using SSDs.
I've played it 3 or 4 PCs ago and I don't recall having any performance issue. I didn't have any SSD back then.

Me on the other-hand I'm tired of playing the game and reading about it. The Gothic games are held up to holy bible status on this niche site, and it's sometimes hilarious.

Even the developer remind me of old jocks living on past glory as well.:biggrin:
I think a lot of it is nostalgia, and that's certainly a factor for me, but there are some things you can't recapture as much as childhood fun :)

I never finished Gothic 3 myself because it was a bit too long as I was trying to do everything, but I think that if I replay it I would be able to pick better ways forward.

Although I've just started Kingdom Come again and Crusader Kings 3.

I, on the other hand, love Gothic 3 patched up. I've finished it 3x. Great exploration and itemization. Also, enjoyed the story.
Well, of course patched up. Without extensive community patching it's not playable at all.

It's a matter of perspective and expectation. Coming from G2, G3 is a guffy mess. Nothing stops someone from enjoying the spectacle though.

I was deeply enthralled in Gothic 3 back at release, but I ended up with a corrupt save game and lost about 50 hours of playtime.

Since then, I've never been able to get back into it properly.

But the game has a special place in my heart - and it was one of the few games that could pull me away from WoW at the time.

Incidentally, I seem to recall joining the Watch right around the time this game was released - and it was one of the first games I talked about around here.

Doesn't hurt that the soundtrack is one of the best of all time.

Also, it remains the only PB game that has dual wielding - which is a big deal to me :)

I've played it here and there since then, and also with the various mods and community fixes - but I just think it's fundamentally flawed and I doubt it will ever be truly "fixed" to the extent it would need to be to feel like a wholesome experience.

Still, I'm happy to try out this mod at some point - when it's more mature.

As for stuttering, yeah, I think that's still an issue when streaming content as you move around.

It's even more noticeable today, as seamless open worlds are commonplace. Back then, it was more of a feat - and I had an easier time forgiving it, because the game was just beautiful.

I finished it and I thought it was okay but it was a big step down from G2. Little did I know that it would be the start of the malaise at PB and that they would never achieve the heights of G1/2 again. I will certainly never play it again nor do I have fond memories of it. There are better generic open world games out there that are more polished.

I think the stuttering mainly affected the game if you use one of the beefed up ini files. One thing that annoyed the hell out me when playing was if draw distance was increased above a certain level then anytime you were near the sea the audio of it would cut in and out constantly and I believe this patch fixes it. So now we can use the super duper ini file to have good draw distance and no stuttering or audio issues. Sounds good to me. Almost due my annual walkabout with the Gothic 3 soundtrack playing.

Back
Top Bottom