HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Rock Paper Shotgun has reviewed the upcoming text-based RPG Roadwarden:

Roadwarden review: a beautifully written visit to a mystery-filled peninsula

With a very good horse

I keep thinking about Roadwarden like a tourist city that I visited for not quite long enough. Sure, I saw the main sights and had a great time soaking in the ambiance, but I know that I missed so many hidden gems. I want to go back and explore, maybe this time with a local guide who knows its secrets.

At its most basic, Roadwarden is a text-based RPG. You play as the titular roadwarden, who sets out from the city to investigate an unmapped peninsula with little more than their horse for company. Your goal as set by the people who sent you is to investigate the region and report your findings in preparation for the expansion of trade guilds in the area. But you can also set your own goal, shaping your character's approach from the start in a way that helps with roleplaying a particular kind of adventurer throughout. And once you get to that adventuring, dozens of sidequests open up covering everything from gathering fruit to curing the plague.

[...]

But at the same time, if that fan wiki were available, I would want to avoid it, at least for my first playthrough. So much of what I enjoyed about Roadwarden was its unknowability. You're a traveller in the peninsula for a little over a month, and it reflects that. You can't fix every problem, you can't make everyone happy, and you can't know everything there is to know. Instead, you take in as much of it as you can, try to improve people's lots slightly, and leave with a journal full of questions and sense memories.
More information.

Back
Top Bottom