Sword of Aragon - Re-released on Steam

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Strategy RPG Sword of Aragon is available again on Steam:

Sword of Aragon

Set in the Aragonian Empire, you are heir to the late Duke of Aladda, and your task is to once again extend Aladda's dominion and eventually crown yourself king in Tetrada. Executing your father's will properly means raising and equipping an army, then venturing forth to do battle against the dastardly foes threatening Aladda and its surroundings.

Your success in Sword of Aragon depends on the careful allocation of precious resources, astute military planning, and deft combat maneuvers. Knights, priests, warriors, mages, rangers, cavalry, infantry, and bowmen are some of the units you can recruit, and in true AD&D fashion, you can equip them with different armor types. Nothing in the game will strike anyone today as a big deal, but back in 1989, it was a revolutionary title that attracted many non-wargamers to the genre.

Excellent AI and addictive gameplay help Sword of Aragon remain one of the most playable and replayable fantasy wargames ever. Two thumbs up!
More information.

Sometimes I wonder who is the audience for these type of older games? As for me I'll pass as the games graphics and controls are to retro for my tastes. So moving on. :mwahaha:

It's a predecessor of the great Fantasy General - I missed it in 1989 and have already bought it.

So there's your target group - people interested in the history of computer games or just re-buying a game of their youth.

I loved this on my Amiga back in the distant past.

Re-releasing these ancient games has become a common cash-grab tactic, but at least it seems to be done by SSI themselves. Though I very much doubt they're much related to the original developers.

It's trivial to emulate this, though - and most likely in a superior way, so I can't say I consider it worth the money. 1989 was a time when Amiga was the superior platform - so that's likely the best version to play.

I often play the DOS version of a game instead of the better-looking Amiga one because I consider the emulation more convenient.

I'm saying that as an Amiga guy, it might be even worse for people who don't know about the Amiga models and specificities (RAM expansions ...). I never tried any easy install pack specific to each game though' so maybe it's really not as bad as I think.

However old mac emulation is the worst, several old mac games I never bothered to try to play because the only times I managed to play one it took me hours to make it run.

If it's a "cash grab" I can't imagine it's going to shift their quarterly profits all that much and whatever corporate bean counter that came up with this as the next big idea is probably looking for work.

I'm not into this kind of thing either but it's kind of cool to have it available since many gamers are never going to figure out how to play ancient titles on a modern PC.

Cash grab doesn't necessarily translate into "evil corporate scheme to make billions" - it just means.... grabbing cash :)

As in, generating revenue with minimal effort - which I would like to claim releasing a 33-year-old game on Steam would qualify for.

If it was priced around one euro or dollar, I might consider it being a reasonable deal - but we all think differently when it comes to value.

~6 euro is a bit grabby to me.

As for how easy it is to emulate, I was only talking about the effort involved from my own perspective. It definitely takes a few minutes of googling to make it work - and I know Steam is easier than that.

Well I was being sarcastic above but yes it's a fact they are trying to make some pennies off retro games. I have no problem with this but they never finished their failed kickstarter.

It's dead at this point and I still wont be playing this game.

Here was the kickstarter under the new developer name.

Well I was being sarcastic above but yes it's a fact they are trying to make some pennies off retro games. I have no problem with this but they never finished their failed kickstarter.

It's dead at this point and I still wont be playing this game.

Here was the kickstarter under the new developer name.
Looks like I pledged $95 for this back in the day. I was really hoping for it to make funding.

It is kind of a cash grab but also not. The dude behind SNEG, which published all the gold box games on Steam, is also a massive fan of the old SSI games. He was one of the founders of GoG and he started a seperate company to acquire the rights for these games. It doesn't look like SNEG is behind SoA though which is interesting. I would think the reasoning is the same though. Whoever they are, they are fans of these games and want it to be available for people to buy easily on the big platforms i.e. Steam and GoG - and hopefully make a few dollars at the same time and I see no harm in that.

The TSI thing was quite different. That was Dave Shelley and Paul Murray. These two were a large part of the core "Special Projects Team" at SSI back in the day. The Special Projects Team were responsible for all of the best games that SSI made. The resurrected SSI and SNEG are not related to TSI at all.

The new outfit seems to have a page here:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom