Gothic 1 Remake - Questions & Answers

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Game Director Reinhard Pollice und Audio Director Kai Rosenkranz answered some fan-questions from GameStar about the Gothic 1 Remake at the Gamescom (Video in German, please use autotranslate):

Was ist anders, was wird besser? - Antworten zum Remake von Gothic 1!

Short Summary:

• Lost content and maybe even content from the planned (but never released) addon will be restored
  • Voice overs will be recorded again, with the old cast
  • Combat will get more options
  • Magic combat only will be possible (no need to change to close combat)
  • Later chapters get a higher quest density
  • Maybe you can stay loyal to the Old Camp or Swamp Camp and ascend as Heavy Guard or Guru
  • Old music melodies will stay and get enhanced, new ones will be added
  • All in all - stay true to the original and add things that were originally planned but later omitted due to time/resource problems
More information.

I see like PB they prefer German marketing. :thumbsdown:

Oh well thanks for the translating and the video having subtitles at least.

until i see some gameplay, im not hyping
Yep there was the demo footage from two years ago and that was it. Anyway it's another THQ Nordic game so my expectations are very low. Most are not big hits on release.

Well your in luck then as they aim to please the fanboy fanbase by recreating the same exact game once again. I don't envy them as they wont be able to please everyone. ^^

There was a thread on the forum about hiring the same voice actors as well. I don't even know if some of them are alive or would even come back to re-voice the old roles.

See German actors once again there is an English market as well.

Guess were not important. I kid but marketing so far leans that way.

Here are the English voice actors.

Gothic is one of the very few games for which the German speaking market is more important for success than the international market.

The thing that worries me about this game is that it looks like a generic modern game. Part of the appeal of Gothic for me was the highly stylized art direction even if that meant slightly cartoonish. I found the wonky animations endearing and fear that will be lost.

If I had to make a list of things I'm worried about, how the game looks would be pretty far down the list.

I'm much more concerned about the combat and dialogue systems. They were both pretty bad in the demo. I read that they're overhauling the combat, but I haven't seen any details about it yet.

Overall, this is sounding a lot more promising than it did when it was first revealed. Probably a day 1 purchase for me.

I'm much more concerned about the combat and dialogue systems. They were both pretty bad in the demo. I read that they're overhauling the combat, but I haven't seen any details about it yet.
They mentioned both combat and dialogue in the interview. Both will be changed a lot compared to the demo, because they got many negative responses for it.

Gothic is one of the very few games for which the German speaking market is more important for success than the international market.
Yeah but it's THQ Nordic and a Spanish developer this time. I get they want European sales but you can't ignore the international market. One reason why PB is still a B developer.

Bottom-line I don't care about the German market, and it's not a PB game this time.:evil:

It depends on how they approach the remake, not who they are as people. Understanding why people love Gothic to begin with is fundamental to this remake, and they seem to know this. They also got a PB OG on board to guide the process, which is very promising.

Back
Top Bottom