Miasma Chronicles - Alpha Preview

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Shacknews pesents some gameplay of the the tactical RPG Miasma Chronicles:

Miasma Chronicles - Alpha Preview Gameplay

Back in 2018, veteran Swedish developers behind such projects as Hitman, Payday, and others banded together to create a tactical turn-based strategy RPG set in a post-apocalyptic world. Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden proved to be an under-the-radar hit, lauded by critics and fans for its solid XCOM-style gameplay and its imaginative world. Nearly five years after its release, the team at The Bearded Ladies is back and now teaming up with 505 Games to introduce a brand new apocalyptic world with the upcoming Miasma Chronicles.
Miasma Chronicles - Character Trailer

More information.

Gameplay seems very similar to Mutant Year Zero, which isn't a bad thing imo as I enjoyed that game. However, I'm hoping we get a deeper, more involved story than Mutant Year Zero, which felt a little thin on that front.

I like what I'm seeing here. It looks like they really nailed the post-apoc setting.

I didn't really care for Mutant Year Zero, mainly because of the characters, but this seems considerably better to me.

Gameplay seems very similar to Mutant Year Zero, which isn't a bad thing imo as I enjoyed that game. However, I'm hoping we get a deeper, more involved story than Mutant Year Zero, which felt a little thin on that front.
That's very kind of you. Mutant Year Zero had basically no story. Whole game is about stealth killing enemies.

I enjoyed the game, but was holding out for the big reveal that makes sense of the world and characters. Doesn't exist. It was basically "dude trust me" and "dude I played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and XCOM what if combined!!!"

This looks like they've since played Fallout 3. Elvis please.

Miasma Chronicles looks to be a promising upcoming Tactical RPG - RPGSite
All-in-all, the gameplay loop of exploring each region to search for resources and to complete sidequests, to sneaking up on enemies and deciding the best angle from which to mount your attack, to the immediately eyebrow-raising utility for Miasma skills (the first which you unlock gifts Elvis the ability to send enemies flying to a specific square, which includes explosive barrels), I have to admit that I'm quite curious how the full game will stack up once it releases sometime next year. I can't deny an interest in wanting to go backwards to play The Bearded Ladies' previous project in Mutant Year Zero, too.

There are a lot of RPGs coming out in the coming months and years, but it's always good to give these smaller releases a chance; I feel like with our audience especially, it can be easy for these smaller Western RPGs to fall by the wayside. At any rate, consider me interested for when Miasma Chronicles sees its release in 2023.

Back
Top Bottom