Broken Roads - The next Disco Elysium?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer thinks the post-apocalyptic RPG Broken Roads can be the next Disco Elysium:

Broken Roads has the potential to become the next Disco Elysium

The post-apocalypse returns to Australia.

Broken Roads' creative lead, Colin McComb, has a long history with CRPGs. He previously worked on Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment and Wasteland 2. More recently he was creative lead on Planescape's spiritual successor, Torment: Tides of Numenera. McComb is now taking a chance on Drop Bear Bytes, a debut studio working on an ambitious new post-apocalyptic tale.

"Craig Ritchie called me up in 2020," says McComb. "He's the game director. He said, 'We'd like to get you on board with this game', and I was like, 'Sell me on it'. He said, 'Post-apocalyptic'. I was like, 'Done three of them'. He said, 'Philosophical'. I was like, 'OK, sounds good'. He said, 'Set in Australia'. I'm like, 'Intriguing'. And then he said, 'It gets weird'." Suitably convinced, McComb joined the team.

He's not the only veteran on board. "Leanne Taylor Giles, our narrative director, recently joined us from Ubisoft Montreal," says Ritchie, aforementioned game director and studio founder. "She worked with Colin on Torment: Tides of Numenera, so that relationship already exists. She loves Planescape: Torment--she's got a Planescape tattoo. So we're bringing together fans of the genre, and people who've been doing the genre for decades."

[...]
More information.

But I haven't started the first Disco Elysium yet!

P.S. They gave D.E. the #1 slot in the top 100 two years in a row.

It's definitely critical that we compare it to another game and not take it on its own merits.
Isn’t it what people do by calling ARPGs for Souls-like?
Maybe we should invent the term Disco-like, to denote similar games

Yeah, apples are my favorite orange-like fruits.

Back
Top Bottom