RPG General News - Most anticipated RPGs of 2023

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
HQ Gaming News compiled a list of interesting RPGs which will be released in 2023 or later:

10 MOST ANTICIPATED upcoming SINGLE PLAYER RPG games of 2023 and beyond

• Forspoken
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Warhammer 40.000: Rogue Trader
  • Dragon Age: Dreadwolf
  • Diablo IV
  • One Piece Odyssey
  • Baldur's Gate 3
  • Mass Effect
  • Starfield
  • Final Fantasy XVI
More information.

My list would look a lot different. Other than BG3, Starfield, and Rogue Trader, I can't say I have much interest in any of those. They're probably just going with what they think will be the most popular.
I didn't expect to find someone with the same list as me, although Rogue Trader I remain on the fence about. Wasn't thrilled at first but liking what I see so far.

Seems we finally got a Youtubber who shares a more main-stream list. As usually all you see is a rehash of the same TB RPGs. I'll play all those except Diablo IV as I hate Blizzard.

Oh and on a side note the next Mass Effect wont be releasing in 2023 either. ^^

I'd be really surprised if we see Dragon Age or Mass Effect in '23 and the more I see of Starfield, the less excited I am.

So that leaves BG3 and, to a much lesser extent (because I'm tired of 40k) Rogue Trader as my top on this list. Others: Jagged Alliance 3, XCOM 3, Alan Wake 2.

I'd be really surprised if we see Dragon Age or Mass Effect in '23 and the more I see of Starfield, the less excited I am.

So that leaves BG3 and, to a much lesser extent (because I'm tired of 40k) Rogue Trader as my top on this list. Others: Jagged Alliance 3, XCOM 3, Alan Wake 2.
Dragon Age: Dreadwolf finally reached alpha and is playable start to finish according to the last update. So there is a slim chance it will release in 2023 but 2024 is more likely.
Jagged Alliance 3 development is slow and XCOM 3 hasn't even officially been announced yet. Who can tell if Baldur's Gate 3 will even be released next year as well. I doubt it.

Dragon Age: Dreadwolf finally reached alpha and is playable start to finish according to the last update. So there is a slim chance it will release in 2023 but 2024 is more likely.
Jagged Alliance 3 development is slow and XCOM 3 hasn't even officially been announced yet. Who can tell if Baldur's Gate 3 will even be released next year as well. I doubt it.
The history of Firaxis is to announce and then release the game within a few months. They don't scream "look at me, look at me!" years in advance like other developers. There are a few hints that suggest we're going to see it soon(ish).

JA3 is a much less complex game and already has gameplay footage. They may early access it first, but I think we'll see it in some form.

The history of Firaxis is to announce and then release the game within a few months. They don't scream "look at me, look at me!" years in advance like other developers. There are a few hints that suggest we're going to see it soon(ish).

JA3 is a much less complex game and already has gameplay footage. They may early access it first, but I think we'll see it in some form.
They do...well I present exhibit A. Marvel's Midnight Suns. Firaxis has been hyping that game for over two years already, and it was even delayed twice. JA3 sure it has footage but given replies on Steam the developer is having problems slowing development.

Only two on this list that I've the slightest interest in, to be honest. And if the upcoming FF isn't turn based, that would wack it down to one.
Unfortunately the next FF game is like the other recent games.
TB is dead as the developer went full western mode for appeal. Haven't enjoyed a Final Fantasy game since 12 and that was the start of the shift to the modern style of games.

hope so, because JA 3 is for me the most anticipated game.

The image before I click on this video's play icon seems to hint at some fascinating new games... that then turn out not to feature in the video at all! What's with that?

The image before I click on this video's play icon seems to hint at some fascinating new games... that then turn out not to feature in the video at all! What's with that?
Pretty sure that's Dreadwolf on the left and One Piece on the right, both of which are in the video.

When they say Mass Effect, is this new ME or remake of old one? I wasn't following news at all.

I'm only looking forward to Hogwarts Legacy and Rogue Trader (to a certain extent)

It's a new Mass Effect. It is in the beyond 2023 category as full development isn't even scheduled to start until 2023 so I would guess 2025-2027 depending on the scale of the game.

Back
Top Bottom