Skyrim - Modders add DLSS, FSR2 and XeSS Support

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted that modders are adding Deep Learning Super Sampling, FidelityFX Super Resolution 2 and Xe Super Sampling to Skyrim:

Skyrim modders are adding DLSS, FSR2, and XeSS support

Upscale your Dragonborn

Canny members of the Skyrim modding community are working on a plugin to enable support for DLSS, FSR2, and XeSS upscaling in the Special and Anniversary Editions of Bethesda's sprawling RPG. Modder PureDark is working together with a small team on the unofficial plugin, called Skyrim-Upscaler, and it should help bump up those frame rates somewhat. It's available to download now from Github if you want to give it a go yourself, but there's no plan to release the plugin publicly until the modders sort out VR compatibility.

[...]

More information.

From a technical standpoint, this is pretty impressive. As per the video, a couple things to bear in mind:
  • Uses DLSS 2.0, not the latest and greatest Nvidia 40-series DLSS 3.0. So, no interpolation method and no lessened CPU load on a fairly single-threaded game.
  • Using DLSS would be greatly beneficial for ENB (as ENB taxes the GPU primarily), but is currently incompatible. However, the mod's creator has reached out to Boris on this and Boris has said he will [eventually] work on the issue.
From my perspective, if you already have an -ok- graphics card/cpu and typically only run at 1080p / 1440p, you won't see much of anything from this mod until ENB compatibility is added. And, while it would help a lot more with people running the game at 4k (@wolfgrimdark) the chances of anyone running Skyrim at 4k without ENB enabled are pretty minimal.

Filed in the wait and see drawer.

To my eyes, the DLSS side of that comparison looks a bit brighter and less detailed. It's often the case for these graphics technologies that I can't see a difference, and if I can, sometimes it actually looks worse.

From a technical standpoint, this is pretty impressive. As per the video, a couple things to bear in mind:
  • Uses DLSS 2.0, not the latest and greatest Nvidia 40-series DLSS 3.0. So, no interpolation method and no lessened CPU load on a fairly single-threaded game.
  • Using DLSS would be greatly beneficial for ENB (as ENB taxes the GPU primarily), but is currently incompatible. However, the mod's creator has reached out to Boris on this and Boris has said he will [eventually] work on the issue.
From my perspective, if you already have an -ok- graphics card/cpu and typically only run at 1080p / 1440p, you won't see much of anything from this mod until ENB compatibility is added. And, while it would help a lot more with people running the game at 4k (@wolfgrimdark) the chances of anyone running Skyrim at 4k without ENB enabled are pretty minimal.

Filed in the wait and see drawer.
Thanks for the heads up. Saw a little of this as I am on Boris's discord. I have a really beefy PC and GPU so don't need DLSS myself for any game I play. I run at 2560x1440 resolution (have no desire for 4K, my eyes can't really tell the difference anyhow at my age) and as long as I get over 30FPS I am happy :)
Pretty cool for those who need more FPS, want more FPS, or want to improve graphics in some ways but don't have the power for it.

I don't know. I'm just not impressed by any of the mods renewing skyrim graphics. it almost looks the same.

This is very interesting. DLSS (with FSR 2 not far behind) often produces better image quality than native rendering, especially with TAA. It can also give a significant performance boost in high resolutions and high refresh rates, depending on CPU performance or just enable much better antialiasing in the form of DLAA. I'm very interested in this project.

No link to the files except github which doesn't allow easy download of messy files.

Am I missing something here?

Looks like you'd have to compile it yourself. It said in the article they're not releasing to the public yet, but the source is on github if people want to play with it.

Sigh then why bother reporting on it if the mod is not finished or available for download. Like I said Github is a terrible site to download files. You can but it's a mess and not easy.

Yeah, github is not really designed for the end users - it's all about the needs of devs and contributors. Not really the ideal platform to distribute the finished product.

I think what they're doing is fair enough, in that they're saying it's not ready to be packaged for public distribution, but for folks that want to get their hands dirty, they can kick the tyres of the code.

Back
Top Bottom