Cyberpunk 2077 - Phantom Liberty will be a paid Expansion

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gamesradar reports the the upcoming DLC Phantom Liberty for Cyberpunk 2077 is not free:

Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty will be a paid expansion

Cyberpunk's expansion will cost you, but probably not as much as a full game

Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty will be a paid expansion, CD Projekt Red has confirmed.

In a comment provided to GamesRadar+, CDPR's global PR director Radek Grabowski confirmed that "as for the expansion's pricing - we have not revealed exact details yet, but it will be a paid one."

[...]
More information.

Man all these articles over one mans tweet. :biggrin:

Basically entitled gamer who bought a broken copy wants free content.
Apparently the confusion is because The Witcher 3 had several free "DLCs", and a handful of larger paid "expansions". Cyberpunk 2077 has had free DLC, such as recent updates which added the Sandevistan from the Cyberpunk: Edgerunners anime.

Were there actually people who thought it was going to be free?
I think the problem is new players see everything as DLC and concept of old timey "expansion" is slipping away. Some would argue that's just semantics, but expansions as products always carried a price tag since they were sold separately in retail.

I think the problem is new players see everything as DLC and concept of old timey "expansion" is slipping away. Some would argue that's just semantics, but expansions as products always carried a price tag since they were sold separately in retail.
I've never really cared for the concept of DLC, but it was inevitable once everything started going digital. I do wish more developers would use the term "expansion" for the larger add-ons though just to make it clear that it's going to be a sizable amount of content.

Of course the problem there is that some would no doubt use the term disingenuously to push a product that doesn't really meet the standard.

This is mind blowing. "It'll probably cost money but not as much as a full game." Did these people just wake up and discover the concept of games and DLC yesterday?

I'm going to say this again despite being argued with every time: the term "DLC" has nothing to do with size. It can be small, it can be large. It is additional CONTENT that one DOWNLOADS. It is the umbrella under which all of the more qualified terms exist. I refuse to believe this person was geninuely confused. More likely they just convinced themselves, with the help of semantics, that they were owed a big ol' free chunk of content because in their mind CDPR should make it up to them because the game was buggy when they got it.

Were there actually people who thought it was going to be free?
I could see them giving it away free to Playstation owners.

This is mind blowing. "It'll probably cost money but not as much as a full game." Did these people just wake up and discover the concept of games and DLC yesterday?

I'm going to say this again despite being argued with every time: the term "DLC" has nothing to do with size. It can be small, it can be large. It is additional CONTENT that one DOWNLOADS. It is the umbrella under which all of the more qualified terms exist. I refuse to believe this person was geninuely confused. More likely they just convinced themselves, with the help of semantics, that they were owed a big ol' free chunk of content because in their mind CDPR should make it up to them because the game was buggy when they got it.
But DLC does have a lot to do with size.

The whole point of DLC was to milk more return on less investment. We had paid for full-fledged expansions up to that point, and then DLC was born and followed the trend of trying to nickel/dime consumers on paid ringtones with Oblivion's horse armor - basically a super-low-effort piece of no-gameplay nothing for $2.50. In a time when expansions cost $30. That's 12% of the price of an expansion for a few keyboard clicks (just doubled the horse's HP).

To this date DLCs trend more toward low-effort smallish addons than the full-fledged expansions. Bethesda even farmed their community's love for their games for extra revenue, got called on trying to turn free mods into paid ones, and they still shoved it through anyway.

CDPR has been the exception here. Its DLCs thus far have actually been worth the money. And look, they rightly call them "expansions."

Yet almost everything he said is true. The only thing I don't agree with is CDPR being the exception. There is a lot of DLC from other developers that has also been worthwhile.

Well, imo, both JFarrell71 and LaHolt are both right; what they're both saying is not entirely mutually exclusive. Publishers did originally conceive of DLC as a way to break consumer expectations around "expansions" - and this was based on the idea of delivering smaller content.

OTOH, yes, DLC can be anything; that's totally true and that's the flexibility publishers were looking for, when it came to selling after-release content. But the fact remains that for a lot of players, "DLC" still has connotations of something small, because that was how it was mostly used in the early days.

It really depends on when you were born and started gaming. As I came from a time were games might have gotten one full expansion at full price, but took longer to release.

Then came the arrival of the early DLC wave. It was a time full of growing pains as it had both positive and negative changes. The saying use your wallet was true gamer's did.

Now expansions are dead and DLC is King. Sure games get more content over a longer period of time, but that content is smaller. CDPR at least releases full sized expansions.

I’ll be anxiously awaiting their next article. “Cyberpunk 2 is not free” :D

I’ll be grabbing this and doing a full play through. I tried to play cyberpunk at release but couldn’t tolerate the state it was in.

I’ll be anxiously awaiting their next article. “Cyberpunk 2 is not free” :D

I’ll be grabbing this and doing a full play through. I tried to play cyberpunk at release but couldn’t tolerate the state it was in.
I read that a lot but finished my first play-through on the initial release version with a few hot-fixes. Now if you were going to play it on the older consoles then I understand. ^^

I read that a lot but finished my first play-through on the initial release version with a few hot-fixes. Now if you were going to play it on the older consoles then I understand. ^^
We’ll if you’ve heard it a lot maybe there’s something to it. :p

Seriously though, I was trying to overlook the clipping, NPC’s talking without moving their lips, poor Ai and cops spawning from nowhere but I drew the line when I fell through a car and got stuck in the road. Immersion is a big part of a game like this for me so when it’s constantly getting broken I figured waiting was the better option.

If you like the setting, you won't be disappointed. It's a very different game now compared to release.
Good to hear. I’m looking forward to it.

We’ll if you’ve heard it a lot maybe there’s something to it. :p

Seriously though, I was trying to overlook the clipping, NPC’s talking without moving their lips, poor Ai and cops spawning from nowhere but I drew the line when I fell through a car and got stuck in the road. Immersion is a big part of a game like this for me so when it’s constantly getting broken I figured waiting was the better option.
Never had any of those problems except for a few audio errors and once I got stuck in a car as I tired to buy it. Recently I tried the updated version and something seems off.

Can't explain it but the game seems to run slower then it did before for me. :unsure:

If you like the setting, you won't be disappointed. It's a very different game now compared to release.
I only played it for the first time shortly after patch 1.5 came out and I thought it was a terrific game. Totally agree... It's hard to imagine someone not enjoying a play-thru now if they like that kind of setting.

Back
Top Bottom