Gothic - Review @ Mortismal Gaming

Who hasn't played this old game yet? Man I feel sympathy for him as the first gothic is seriously outdated. Personally I can't wait to finally play the THQ Nordic remake version.

Yes..yes..now bring the usual comments on how I'm wrong and it's the greatest RPG. :roll:

Gothic is kind of a classic nowadays. And classics always find someone to re-review them.

Good review. I actually enjoy a lot of Mortismal's stuff. He's thorough when covering all the aspects of a game, and he talks in a way that's easy to listen to. It's hard to find YouTube reviewers that aren't annoying to me in some way, and he's one of the few.

He needs to find content where he can, with a sustained rhythm of 1 video per day it's can't always be about quality. 😏

I'm looking forward to the remake though, I've only played Gothic 3.
Does he actually do a video per day or was that a joke?

In regards to the remake, it's probably better for you that you haven't played the original. The impression it left if you played it back then is hard to shake. I already know the remake will probably be hard for me to enjoy because I'll be comparing every aspect to the original.

Who hasn't played this old game yet? Man I feel sympathy for him as the first gothic is seriously outdated. Personally I can't wait to finally play the THQ Nordic remake version.

Yes..yes..now bring the usual comments on how I'm wrong and it's the greatest RPG. :roll:
I don't think it's the greatest RPG nowadays, certainly not. But at the time this game was certainly ahead of its time in many respects.

It makes it a great game historically.
Now, this game is barely playable unless you have tons of patience :D

In regards to the remake, it's probably better for you that you haven't played the original. The impression it left if you played it back then is hard to shake. I already know the remake will probably be hard for me to enjoy because I'll be comparing every aspect to the original.
I think he tried to, but there are times he doesn't. Like he didn't do any for thanksgiving...

Not a joke, when I quickly looked at the history, it was the case. I'm not following him anymore, there must be gaps like Pladio said.

He started to increase his cadence a few months ago, maybe he made it his main income?

He achieves that by widening his topics a lot, I'd say probably too much.

I'm just curious how that could even be possible. Doesn't he review mostly RPGs?
He doesn't just do reviews. He also does pre-reviews he calls Impressions videos. So before he released the Gothic Review he had a Gothic Impressions video.
That gives him at least 2 videos per game. He then also does lists, like the RPGs to play for the Holidays or my favourite companions.

This way he stretches out some of the games into multiple videos.

He has a whole bunch of guide videos too like build guides for Pathfinder WotR.

He doesn't just do reviews. He also does pre-reviews he calls Impressions videos. So before he released the Gothic Review he had a Gothic Impressions video.
That gives him at least 2 videos per game. He then also does lists, like the RPGs to play for the Holidays or my favourite companions.
Right, but I'm still wondering how he's only spending 1 or 2 videos on each game. He must not actually be doing full playthroughs all the time. Even if he's gaming all day long, most modern RPGs can't be finished in 1-2 days unless you're using cheats.

Right, but I'm still wondering how he's only spending 1 or 2 videos on each game. He must not actually be doing full playthroughs all the time. Even if he's gaming all day long, most modern RPGs can't be finished in 1-2 days unless you're using cheats.
Agreed. I am wonder if he also has a few business partners/friends with very similar tastes who also make notes on games that he turns into videos. He would most likely still have to play a bit 5-10 hours or so but it would be quite feasible if he was doing it this way. Considering that it must also take many hours to create the actual videos/scripts and post production etc.

Don't forget to mention he's doing 100% achievements too...

He seems to be genuinely good at many games, and each game is actually used in many videos, not just 1 or 2: the announcement, the preview, early impression, 100% review, what he's going to review next, the must plays, a recap of games he has reviewed, and for more complex games, some guides. Then as I said it's not only about specific games, he does a lot of other videos like opinions, what he likes and dislikes in some random topic, rumours, companies, the game he used to play, those he wants to play, his thoughts on random subjects, and so on.

So I think there's a lot of material he's re-using, and he's trying to optimize every step. Making the video itself mustn't take that much time, he's obviously not preparing them a lot, the images are often just a background filler and not really synchronized with the narrative except in guides. There's a lot of editing though.

Yeah, it's interesting how he could complete some of the games he does in such short time spans. For example, earlier this month he apparently did Tactics Ogre Reborn, Valkyrie Elysium, and Wasteland 2 within a week. Or at least that's how it would appear from when those videos were uploaded.

Not saying it isn't possible, but it's a little curious. I suppose if you're crunching every waking hour into these games, which he could very well be doing, but I can't imagine that being very enjoyable.

Yeah, it's interesting how he could complete some of the games he does in such short time spans. For example, earlier this month he apparently did Tactics Ogre Reborn, Valkyrie Elysium, and Wasteland 2 within a week. Or at least that's how it would appear from when those videos were uploaded.

Not saying it isn't possible, but it's a little curious. I suppose if you're crunching every waking hour into these games, which he could very well be doing, but I can't imagine that being very enjoyable.
His steam profile is open for public viewing so I guess you could check when he gets all the achievements. I've not done that type of digging.

Back
Top Bottom