Wartales - Gameplay @ SplatterCatGaming

At first wasn't to interested in playing but after watching some videos the game caught my interest, and now I can't wait for it to be finished to play it. Hopefully sometime next year.

At first wasn't to interested in playing but after watching some videos the game caught my interest, and now I can't wait for it to be finished to play it. Hopefully sometime next year.
Yay! I was not interested at first myself but one dull evening I tried the demo and found it better than I thought. Now I am a fan and also waiting for the official release. I own the EA version but I don't want to burn out on it. I poke around after updates though. Another game a bit out of my usual style I actually enjoy.

Off topic a little ... I have often said I dislike game videos, dislike streaming, and like written reviews. I have to confess I have been getting worn down on this. Started with SIMS 4 as I have a few friends who do Youtube stuff and I watched a few to be supportive. Then I found myself watching a few reviews that were a mix of review/game play of other games.

I still do not like pure game play streaming, I find that very boring and would rather just play myself, but I do find it useful to see some game play and/or review of mechanics, these days to see if I might like a game.

Part of this has been too few games to play that I like (i.e. not enough in my style) so I needed to broaden my game reach but didn't want to waste money.

Anyhow long story short - I never would have gotten/tried Wartales or Midnight Suns if I hadn't watched some vids and "saw" things and was like, oh hey this isn't that bad!

I still prefer written reviews but I am opening up more to watching videos, especially if they are not too long. 10-20 minutes seems to be my current limit.

At best I can sum the game up as a 3D version of Battle Brothers without the bobble heads. Lately I've been the same as you not interested in playing most of them myself.

Next year looks better with all the TB/RT tactical games if they release though. :dance:

I have also been trying to wait for the official release. Since Battle Brothers is one of my all-time favorites, I'm having a hard time not playing this now. I'm 99% positive that I'll love this game.
I've been in a gaming rut lately and have not enjoyed the last 3-4 games I picked up on various sales. Valheim, Encased, and Gedonia couldn't keep my interest. I was not too fond of the story in Encased.
Maybe it's time to try Elex 2 or Wasteland 3.

I've been in a gaming rut lately and have not enjoyed the last 3-4 games I picked up on various sales. Valheim, Encased, and Gedonia couldn't keep my interest. I was not too fond of the story in Encased.
I'm still sad that they didn't add to the story in their big patch#3. Now that their lead developer is gone, it seems we won't even see the promised patch#4 that was supposed to balance the game. :(
I saw a lot of "honored members" on their Discord, so it doesn't bode very well.

We'll have to be patient until 2023 to get good fresh games.

I still do not like pure game play streaming, I find that very boring and would rather just play myself, but I do find it useful to see some game play and/or review of mechanics, these days to see if I might like a game.
Agreed, it's very useful to get an idea of what it's really like. Reviews are useful too but they're the "theory" by someone who has specific tastes and expectations. Seeing it live is the "practice" part.

I'm still sad that they didn't add to the story in their big patch#3. Now that their lead developer is gone, it seems we won't even see the promised patch#4 that was supposed to balance the game. :(
I saw a lot of "honored members" on their Discord, so it doesn't bode very well.
I didn't know Encased was supposed to get another patch. What's wrong with the balancing? I haven't played it yet other than the demo, but I'm curious.

I didn't know Encased was supposed to get another patch. What's wrong with the balancing? I haven't played it yet other than the demo, but I'm curious.
The game becomes too easy once you reach the mid-game, because you get too many skills too quickly. This makes your main character proficient in almost all combat styles, stealth, tech, speech and so on. Not that it would be the only game suffering from that, but they were supposed to improve it.

It's also much easier for some builds than others.

@Redglyph

Dark Crystal Games has shut down so yeah no more content for Encased, and no future games either. I remember the interview we did when the lead developer left.

The information came from a Russian RPG site like ours.

Dark Crystal Games has shut down so yeah no more content for Encased, and no future games either. I remember the interview we did when the lead developer left.
That's sad news. Even if the game wasn't perfect, they did a pretty good job; it's mostly a problem of less content at the end, which they could have addressed with a DLC.

Perhaps the publisher expected more after the delay and the decision to add more content and make it fully voiced, or perhaps it's something else entirely, we'll probably never know. The reviews on Steam are mostly positive, except recent ones but it may be for other factors than the game itself (and the game suffered from review bombing because of the delay).

Back
Top Bottom