Urban Strife - New Demo

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted a new demo for Urban Strife:

New Urban Strife Demo is LIVE!

We are launching a new Prologue Demo for Urban Strife live on zemalf, thanks for the #TurnBasedFest event. Come join the devs for an ad-hoc Q&A and a chance to win a full game key. The demo is free for all and you should see it on the game Steam page.

For our new players we have prepared a special "cheat sheet" with introductory information about our interface and mechanics. You can open image in full screen with right-click, save it, and keep it at hand for a bit of quick help if you skip through the ingame tutorials too fast.

Enjoy! And do not forget to try other #TurnBasedFest awesome games, too.
More information.

Downloaded the new demo and played again. I did not see many improvements from the previous one, and certainly nothing I was hoping for. It still looks like can be a good game, but with so many others coming out in 2023, I am not sure it will be a day-one purchase for me.

I tried it, its very rough. I like the graphics but it doesn't allow for zooming in very much, which I dislike. And its very hard to figure out how to do stuff. It took me forever to figure out I had to click on the front part of the ambulance in order to find the crowbar. I tried clicking on the logical place, the rear ambulance doors, or the side passenger doors, but nothing happened.

It doesn't make much sense that you would open the main engine compartment to find the crowbar. And there is no "paper doll" for inventory, at least none I could find for my character at the very start of the game. So I couldn't figure out how to have my character equip the gun I found. (for some odd reason, the crowbar automatically equipped when my character found it)

Then 3 zombies ganged up and quickly killed both my characters after I managed to kill one zombie. The game is balanced to be very difficult, at least that is my first impression. The game needs a lot of work.

No, you just suck. ;)

I'm jk, but the game does tell you that zombies are dangerous in large numbers. When you're outnumbered, draw them out a few at a time or sneak around them. In the opening sequence, you're not meant to rush head on into that group of them.

As far as the inventory, yeah they could do a better job of explaining it. Once you learn it though, it's just like any other game.

I played their last demo, and after reading your impressions about the current one, I think it's better to skip it (but the game remains wishlisted).

Ok, so I tried it for round 2. This time, I figured out how to equip my gun finally. (just by trial and error, by trying every slot on the very right hand side of the inventory, the gun belongs in one near the bottom)

So I didn't rush into the zombies, either in the first battle that I lost, or in this one.
This time, I tried to strategically corner and fight the first two zombies in the corner. Well, eventually they triggered all of the other zombies in the area to come investigate and find me. I guess through my gunfire sounds.

So fine, I'm making good head shots, and kill many zombies. I am briefly enjoying the game at this moment. Then a zombie gets too close to my main character, and he goes down quick. So the lady who you meet first in the game, Kaylee, she keeps plucking away and killing zombies with her powerful rifle, but two more appear, and proceed to bash on my fallen unconscious character and he quickly dies. I am now frustrated and say, "enough".

I guarantee many gamers will just give up on this game (demo) the first moment they can't figure out how to equip their gun or after being thrashed in early combat by the "chain reaction" zombies effect.

(I'm playing the game on the default difficulty level- "experienced" - that the game automatically puts you on when starting a new game, by the way)

And there are tons of wasted action points and it appears there is nothing you can do with that extra AP, like save some to carry over to next round, or assume a better defensive position, etc. like in Wasteland 2 and Wasteland 3.

First impressions matter a lot in games - and especially demos - and this game has a bad one, I am just telling it straight. My 2 cents.

I didn't have that problem either, when I found the first gun it was equipped automatically, but I used either the transfer arrow at the bottom or the one on the item itself, maybe that's the difference.

I agree that tooltips wouldn't hurt and not just for that, some buttons of the interface are obvious but others are just trial and error.

The zombie being overwhelming at the start didn't shock me. I'd rather realize it as soon as possible, and it's not unusual in RPG games to be easily defeated at the beginning.

I'm pretty sure that the face of my MC on the dialogues has nothing to do with the one I chose, it's weird. And the one I got is pretty stupid-looking, fortunately it's just a demo. 😆

Don't hesitate to share your suggestions and impressions in the Steam forums, the devs are active over there. I don't know if that'll change anything, but it can't hurt.

The problem is there are way too many new games coming out these days, even in a niche category like isometric rpgs. So if a game doesn't immediately grab me, and give me a good first impression, then its quickly uninstalled, and forgotten. I didn't think the demo showed much promise, so I have no
interest in its further development. (the best part for me in playing the demo was the character creation, but that is just because its usual for me to enjoy that process in rpgs)

The one good thing is that it was nice to see a demo of a small indie/low budget rpg game like this, and I'd like to see that happen more often. (ok, so I didn't like the game, but I promise I would never have tried it, or been potentially interested to buy it otherwise without the demo)

Not worth a newsbit at this stage so I'll just put this here. Next demo on Feb 6th-ish.

If you're curious what exactly there is to miss, here's a tentative list of NextFest Demo features:
  • All the industry NPCs have now a quest to build a specific shelter upgrade; spend materials and you'll get to see the shelter change under your eyes
  • You can now salvage items and weapons at the Recycler Workshop and obtain building materials
  • There are 4 new facilities you can build: a garden (+food), a jail (+morale), a pharmacy (+health) and a garage
  • The items now have a trade value and the traders will be openly displaying the cut they take so you can do your trading math correctly
  • The backpack has been completely redesigned, with carry slots now clearly separated from equipment slots and filters;
  • Speaking of filters, all containers have item filters now and a SORT button for easier inventory management
  • Item generation and manipulation has also been redesigned to lower memory use that sometimes lead to crashes
  • We have added much needed hover information on the main HUD (and we plan to expand this to other parts of the interface)
  • Targeting cursor has been adjusted to convey extra and more accurate information; loot cursor now is animated for easier detection of interactable objects
  • The city map has been re-drawn, showing the local attractions, districts and a streamlined road layout
  • Also on the city map, we have a new sector info chart, with new information about the places you plan to visit
  • RPG has gone through a new overhaul round, dialogues are now less stuffed; you can still read the lore, but you can do it at will, after you settle in
  • Finally, there is a whole new intro sequence to the game for more immersive story telling

Back
Top Bottom