Underrail - Review

I knew if I waited long enough, someone would FINALLY review this game.

Seriously, what is up with people who review games years after they've come out and years after most people are long done with them? Game released in 2015 and was probably in EA for years before that.

Like yo, I really wanted to do a review for this game but I was so backlogged, had a kid, got a job, and played a bunch of games on my phone, aged thru a decade - before I finally got around to it. But here ya go. All 2 of you still undecided about this game after 10 years.

Anyways - no point in my post either - just an observation that amuses me.

Pretty sure I hated this game - and considering how many love it (here even) I should give it another try.

One great thing about a pixel/retro game like this is that it pretty much hasn't aged - could've been released today. So there's that.

Seriously, what is up with people who review games years after they've come out and years after most people are long done with them? Game released in 2015 and was probably in EA for years before that.
A few content creators focus on a series of games like "isometric" classical RPGs, where the style matters more than how old the game is. See for example his series on "Road to Baldur's Gate III". Others do the same, like NeverKnowsBest, Chris Davis, or Noah Caldwell-Gervais. It's more a retrospective than a typical review.

It's interesting to note this new trend of praising another one's channel. Here he mentions NeverKnowsBest, and I'm pretty sure it will be reciprocated. I've seen that a few times with other Youtubers; they seem to come at a point where they must stick together.

Retrospective reviews can be boring for older RPG veterans, but keep in mind that there's always a new generation of gamers who can discover older games this way.

Pretty sure I hated this game - and considering how many love it (here even) I should give it another try.

One great thing about a pixel/retro game like this is that it pretty much hasn't aged - could've been released today. So there's that.
I don't get how anyone could hate Underrail. Even if it's not for you, what is there to hate about it?

I'm not as big on it as some are, but I think it's pretty solid.

For me, this game was too long for its own good, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it until the last bits.
I think the final level has some kind of puzzle to it or you have to defeat endless monsters and I just felt it was quite boring.

Other than that the game was real fun. My main suggestion would be to have a slightly smaller game and make it denser (more quests, more types of monsters,...)

The last patch for Underrail was released in Feb 2022. I actually prefer reviews that wait for the final version of the game as that is how I play them. A few patches can add a percentage point or two but in same cases they can add important new features.

I don't get how anyone could hate Underrail. Even if it's not for you, what is there to hate about it?

I'm not as big on it as some are, but I think it's pretty solid.

Have you reached the endgame? The deep caverns is the most despised region I have ever had the displeasure to experience in an RPG.

Once you reach that part of the game, chances are you'll get to hate the game too.

Have you reached the endgame? The deep caverns is the most despised region I have ever had the displeasure to experience in an RPG.

Once you reach that part of the game, chances are you'll get to hate the game too.
Nah, I would just hate that part of the game not the game itself.

There are lots of shitty parts in otherwise good or great RPGs.

Plenty of games have areas that don't appeal to me, I'll always forgive those parts (mostly!) simply over the sheer joy that the rest of the game gave me. Even when contemplating replays those parts won't deter me, a good game is simply too rare to avoid because of one section.

Except it's not one section. Before the expansion, it was a good 1/3 of the game time spent there. Depending on your build and the order one chose to explore it, even more.

It does sour the experience and it's no surprise to see the avalanche of complaints about it that surfaced and still do to this day.

Back
Top Bottom