The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Inverse thinks Elden Ring is the GotY 2022, but many players don't finish it:

ELDEN RING IS UNDENIABLY GAME OF THE YEAR -- AND THAT'S A PROBLEM

Uncomfortably inevitable.

YOU KNOW IT. I KNOW IT. WE ALL KNOW IT.

This year's Game of the Year contest was all sewn up just six weeks into 2022. Elden Ring is one of the rare games to truly transcend the nerd-o-sphere and become a bonafide cultural phenomenon. Even The New York Times wrote about it (awkwardly). As of mid-November, it had sold more than 17.5 million copies worldwide.

But there's one reason the game's uncontested greatness is a mixed blessing. Elden Ring is too long and too hard for the majority of casual (and even not-so-casual) players. And its inescapable acclaim could wrongly convince some folks that games just aren't for them.

There are several compelling reasons Elden Ring deserves all the praise that's been tossed its way like Mardi Gras beads from tipsy revelers. The first and most persuasive is its world. It's no secret that many open-world games can sag under the weight of big, empty maps that too often reduce gameplay to a series of interconnected checklists. Elden Ring does not suffer from this issue.

[...]

Senior Entertainment Writer Eric Francisco expressed his mingled awe and dissatisfaction with the game rather elegantly in a December Twitter thread.

"I don't know how else to express it but when it comes down to it, Elden Ring -- a game I acknowledge is fantastic but that I ultimately do not love and cannot finish -- kind of alienated me away from gaming completely," he wrote. "Elden Ring's immense status sorta disillusioned me on where the hobby is going, evolving into a thing I do not recognize and do not see myself fitting in anymore. It's like everyone loves a person I had a very bad date with and I'm left to keep it to myself."

[...]
Thanks Henriquejr!

More information.

I can't stand the game myself - it has so much that I detest in the genre - but I disagree with the article. Sure it will have an impact, just like other big games have in their day. I don't see that deterring anyone from gaming as a hobby nor do I see every game coming out trying to duplicate it. Sure lots of souls clones, just like diablo clones, and so on but there are so many games, of all kinds, that are and will come out.

In the end those who like these kinds of games will have more to play and those that don't will still have plenty of other options. The gaming industry is huge and I don't think that will change, at least not until climate, energy, and war reach a point gaming isn't an option.

That article has heavy, negative steam review vibe; spends several detailed, petulant and often spoiler ridden paragraphs to conclude
"Game totally sucks" (Hours played 670)

Truer words have never been uttered, Mr. Francisco! I bought Elden Ring and it only took the very first mini boss to tell me that I would progress no further. It is a beautiful game but one that does not truly represent the hobby I have enjoyed since the early 80s. To me, GOTY, should be Solasta. An independent developer created a game that is an entry way from tabletop to computer games. It welcomed them with a ruleset which they may be familiar. It was a great entry into to Computer RPGs. To me, that is what the industry should cater to - the future gamer. The industry should not award a game that only .02% of the community will finish.

Truer words have never been uttered, Mr. Francisco! I bought Elden Ring and it only took the very first mini boss to tell me that I would progress no further. It is a beautiful game but one that does not truly represent the hobby I have enjoyed since the early 80s. To me, GOTY, should be Solasta. An independent developer created a game that is an entry way from tabletop to computer games. It welcomed them with a ruleset which they may be familiar. It was a great entry into to Computer RPGs. To me, that is what the industry should cater to - the future gamer. The industry should not award a game that only .02% of the community will finish.
can't agree more.
Tried Elden Ring, started it 3 times, but stopped also at the first mini boss then on other mini bosses on second and third try.

I don't understand neither the hype, nor the awards.
No dialogues, no story, ... only bare exploration and brutal combat.

Solasta is my GOTY either. A true tabletop RPG experience which makes great use of the ruleset.

Now imagine someone playing Solasta and dying several times in the first hour and dont care about dialogues or story, what would they think about the game.

Interesting, because Solasta represents the opposite of what I want in an RPG. Roleplaying drew me to it 40+ years ago because it's a way to tell a cooperative story. A game like Solasta, with its emphasis on the mechanics of roleplaying but none of its soul, would represent a direction *I* don't want RPG games to follow, if I thought any one game is going to define an industry wide direction (like Wolf, I don't think this).

That article has heavy, negative steam review vibe; spends several detailed, petulant and often spoiler ridden paragraphs to conclude
"Game totally sucks" (Hours played 670)
Steam characterizes its reviews as recommended (thumbs up) and not recommended (thumbs down), and whenever I see a thumbs down for a game the reviewer played for 200+ hours, I always think that's a recommendation, regardless of the direction of the thumb or what they say in their review.

Interesting, because Solasta represents the opposite of what I want in an RPG. Roleplaying drew me to it 40+ years ago because it's a way to tell a cooperative story. A game like Solasta, with its emphasis on the mechanics of roleplaying but none of its soul, would represent a direction *I* don't want RPG games to follow, if I thought any one game is going to define an industry wide direction (like Wolf, I don't think this).
And what is your GOTY? I can understand why your opinion differs, but what is your choice of GOTY? Perhaps there is a game I missed that I would consider. But I think we both can agree that Elden Ring isn't it. I think we can both agree that a GOTY shouldn't represent .02% of the gaming community at large. I truly believe Elden Ring made GOTY because people bought it, which supported sales numbers, but never really played much of it.

Lue.

As someone who doesn't like Elden Ring I think the idea that only .02% of gamers got into Elden Ring is out of touch with reality. Maybe you need to get out more and see what people play because it isn't Solasta. Solasta is a great game but that is the niche game, not Elden Ring. Lots of people don't finish games across the board, that is pretty well known. Whether not-finishers is extra high for ER I wouldn't know - the person who wrote that article did a tiny ad-hoc sample based on some of her followers which isn't a good sample. The game is popular and well liked and more mainstream then Solasta. Now here at the Watch Solasta may be the mainstream but the Watch itself is a pretty niche set of players.

That being said I don't have access to any official numbers of who finishes what game but what I have seen suggests it's still a large number and I expect a lot higher than .02% of the people who purchased the game.

Yeah, I tried to play Elden Ring and died maybe two or more times and took my PC back to the shop and asked for a refund.

Not sure how anyone can think the trauma and abuse this developer clearly enjoys inflicting on the unsuspecting public is anything other than sadistic.

I pretty much STILL feel like crying and that's after months of therapy. :(

And what is your GOTY? I can understand why your opinion differs, but what is your choice of GOTY? Perhaps there is a game I missed that I would consider. But I think we both can agree that Elden Ring isn't it. I think we can both agree that a GOTY shouldn't represent .02% of the gaming community at large. I truly believe Elden Ring made GOTY because people bought it, which supported sales numbers, but never really played much of it.

Lue.
No, we can't agree. Elden Ring is my RPG of the year, though admittedly it was a pretty crap year for RPGs. I've loved Fromsoft games for years and finished several of them. I haven't actually finished Elden Ring, but I don't think that's really the point with those games. The journey is a lot more important than the destination, and I played and enjoyed it for ~120 hours.

I don't know where you got this .02% thing from, but sounds made up.

I don't think "finishing" the game is an indication of someone liked the game or not. I finished a few games I didn't particarly enjoyed because I had nothing else to play while my hubby didn't finish some of games he enjoyed because he had multiple games going at the same time or because some games are more "open ended".

I get that its weird that someone play xxx hours of the game and call it a crap game - but I can relate. I sunk in 70 hours into MH: Rise but I didn't enjoy it - I was hoping I will enjoy it because I loved MH: World. I hate everything about ESO except for housing and I sunk in way more hours than PF: WotR - doesn't mean I enjoyed ESO more than WotR etc.

Agreed @purpleblob. Another possibility is a game that's so-so, then gets bad near the end of the game. Or a game that's a sequel to a game you really loved, and you keep hoping for the game to get better. (Why did I finish NieR:Replicant even one time? Well, because of Automata.)

I've seen what @JFarrell71 is talking about, too, though: a review with nothing good to say about a game at all, yet 100+ hours of playtime. Even an amateur reviewer should see that they need to say something about why they have played a game they don't like for so long. (I've even seen a very few where they put in hundreds of hours on a game AFTER giving it a horrible review!)

Not sure how anyone can think the trauma and abuse this developer clearly enjoys inflicting on the unsuspecting public is anything other than sadistic.
"I created this game for a certain kind of person. To hurt them." Only $2 for the game associated with that quote. You'll have to pay for your own therapy. ;)

There are also people who tend *not* to finish their games. I am one example. I play perhaps 10-20 games a year and finish only one of them. With Game Pass, it has become increasingly tempting to try something and play it until I get bored. Some of the games I enjoyed most, such as Pathfinder Kingmaker and Baldur's Gate 2, I never finished because they were too long for me.

As @JFarrell71 says, it's the journey that's important, not the destination.

Those figures seem not to be scaled to the number of players. Obviously the game with most players (or reporters in this case) would have the highest probability of being the most completed and abandoned game. To make the comparison useful, they would need to divide the completed/abandoned numbers by the number of reports. Alternatively use the completed/abandoned ratio if those were the only reports available:

Elden Ring: 5500/284 = 19.4
God of War: 2000/13 = 153.8
Dying Light 2: 700/56 = 12.5
Stray: 3800/66 = 57.6

Hence GoW would be by far the most completed game followed by Stray. Elden Ring and Dying Light 2 would be about as little completed. GoW would be almost 10 times more completed than ER. This all assuming that all reporters had to report whether they completed/abandoned the game and that there was no bias in reporting.

I am pretty sure that HowLongToBeat would have a bias toward completion and hence not-completed would be under-reported. Consequently, one would over-estimate the completion of games that are hard to complete. Hence it makes no sense to use these data for such comparisons.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom