Forspoken - Review @ IGN

Errr, modern day person transported back into a fantasy setting... that's actually somewhat uncommon in books (at least the ones I read), more common in movies, but... I'm having trouble thinking of any video game where that's been done before. The Ultima series is the only one that comes to mind.

Anyway, sounds like yet another epic fail from Squaresoft. I hope they can keep the company going long enough to get the whole FF7 Remake out the door.

Anyway, sounds like yet another epic fail from Squaresoft. I hope they can keep the company going long enough to get the whole FF7 Remake out the door.
Well, they're just the publisher here not the developer. I'm not sure how much money they invested in this. I think it's safe to say they have pretty deep pockets though.

Errr, modern day person transported back into a fantasy setting... that's actually somewhat uncommon in books (at least the ones I read), more common in movies, but... I'm having trouble thinking of any video game where that's been done before. The Ultima series is the only one that comes to mind.

Nox

Now that's a game I haven't played in a while! In fact, I'll replay it right away... Such a gem!

Now onto the topic: the game is getting a lot of flak on Steam, mainly for the poor port but also for story and gameplay.

Not to mention the metric ton of people reporting one "annoying bracelet" that talks a whole lot and freezes your player in place while doing so.

There's a few JRPGs that made its way to Western releases that fit, as going to another world is a fairly popular genre over there. A few that come to mind:
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance has modern kids finding themselves in a fantasy world
  • Ni No Kuni 1 and 2 both have a different modern person transported to a fantasy world.
  • Brave Story - modern kid finds himself in a fantasy world as he tries to find the power to save his sick friend.
  • Eternal Sonata. This was a curious one, and perhaps not quite fitting the modern tag as it was about Chopin (so the 19th century) going to a fantasy world as he dreamed on his death bed.

On the Western game side besides the ones already mentioned there was Graveyard Keeper. Modern day guy gets hit by car, wakes up in dark fantasy world.

Not even sure what to think of this comment.

What's the relation between 1 and the expression "a metric ton"? Sorry, I'm not from the US.
There isn't one. Thus my comment.

I looked at the Steam reviews. The one at the top makes the comment you cite, but there are hardly a ton of such comments.

I've seen the first hour of the game (I didn't play it myself, my teenage kids alternated while I watched).
The biggest issue so far that the start is quite dull and doesn't sell the game very well. Especially the bits set in "our" world. They're probably not that long (25 minutes?), but they feel long.

Dialogue is slightly cringey, but not Saints Row reboot cringey. Given we're now out of the "set up the story" phase and into the proper game, I imagine there will be less of that. Time will tell.
Yeah, there's some annoyance with not being able to move while your intelligent vambrace thingy talks to you (why can't I mult-task!?), but this is the tutorial part - I doubt it's going to occur further on in the game.

It feels like there will be some potential for decent exploration and fun action (you can jump and climb and earn XP and can unlock powers etc), as long as the cringe aspects are diluted out.
So... can't tell if it's genuinely bad or worth-a-try yet, but that's my impressions of the first hour or so.

Performance-wise, no issues at all yet. The PC we were playing on has a 1080P monitor and AMD RX6600 gfx, and it played flawlessly.
We did have a crash about 10 minutes in, though. We had to revalidate the files, and then we had to patch them, and then we got a message about a corrupt patch, so we had to re-download some more, and apply a patch, and...
BUT after THAT, it performed okay. ;)

One of the main reasons I decided to pass is that the exploration seemed like it was going to be poor. It's a big map, but there isn't much of interest there. One of the things I did in the demo was do a context-less trial in which waves of enemies rushed me, and I was trying to kill them as fast as possible. Two problems with that. One is why do I give a shit? You fight enough during the main story. Second, why is this happening? No reason.

From the reviews I've looked at, I think my impression was correct. They all talk about how bland and repetitive these open world tasks are. They also mention how uninteresting the visuals are, which I couldn't tell from the demo. Apparently it looks the same everywhere, fields of rocks and trees.

From the reviews I've looked at, I think my impression was correct. They all talk about how bland and repetitive these open world tasks are. They also mention how uninteresting the visuals are, which I couldn't tell from the demo. Apparently it looks the same everywhere, fields of rocks and trees.
Why you jumping on the hate train bruh? ;)

One of the main reasons I decided to pass is that the exploration seemed like it was going to be poor. It's a big map, but there isn't much of interest there.
[...] Apparently it looks the same everywhere, fields of rocks and trees.
Oh, that sucks.
If I (or my kids) ever get back to it, it'll be a long time down the road, if ever. I'm playing Elden Ring and have games genuinely worthy of my time lined up (Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn...).

Oh, that sucks.
If I (or my kids) ever get back to it, it'll be a long time down the road, if ever. I'm playing Elden Ring and have games genuinely worthy of my time lined up (Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn...).
Aeons ago I wrote here a review for the PS4 version of Horizon Zero Dawn, one you forgot to read and leave a like :p (joking).

Now that's a game I haven't played in a while! In fact, I'll replay it right away... Such a gem!
Is Nox still comfortably playable nowadays? I remember I finished all 3 campaigns. Great game.

Back
Top Bottom