Ultima VII Part I - Like a 1980s Dark Fantasy Film

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Spotted on the Ultima Codex:

Ever Wondered What "Ultima 7: The Black Gate" Would Look Like As a 1980s Dark Fantasy Film?

AI art generation technologies -- DALL-E, Midjourney, and others -- have been growing in popularity and capability, especially over the last year or so. What is more, whereas early iterations of these technologies required considerable amounts of GPU and computing power, their modern incarnations can run on more modest hardware; browser-based solutions are also readily available.

So it should come as no surprise that someone has taken it upon themselves to put together a series of still images imagining what different scenes and characters from Ultima 7: The Black Gate would look like had the game been brought to life as a dark fantasy film in the mid-1980s. This, granted, was years prior to the game itself being released, but fantasy films from that era did have a certain aesthetic to them.

The results are pretty impressive. Most of the characters and scenes are instantly recognizable (though if you're at all confused, you can find a complete, timestamped index on the video's YouTube page), and some of the renderings are particularly spot-on.
More information.

One of the all-time best, an actual legendary game. It's been years since I replayed it, might have to pencil that in later this year if I get a lull in classes.

Ultima 7 was my first foray into crpg's..would love to see a updated remake of this classic, always hoping when I see anything about this title.
Yeah, I was always hoping for a good remake, but so far, nothing. Well, Exult makes it at least playable on modern machines.

I still prefer Dosbox. Exult still has too many differences/bugs that I don't like. The Dosbox scalers give most of the graphical uplift these days anyway.

Back
Top Bottom