Caves of Lore - Some Reviews

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Unfortunately the dungeon crawler Caves of Lore is ignored by most gaming sites right now - so here are some Steam reviews:

Oldmanwithers:

Caves of Lore is a wonderful mix of idea's and systems that blend together into an incredibly engaging, if somewhat still roughly hewn, love letter to classic CRPG's while still feeling very much like it's own game.

Highly customizable character development, quick and engaging tactical turn-based combat and a world exploration mechanic that utilizes unique skills and abilities to navigate the environment and discover treasure provides a fun framework to really dig into it's many systems.
That said, the game still feels VERY much like an early access title with frequent rough-edges and technical issues to it's overall presentation (though none that have been completely game-breaking in my experience), but the developer is highly engaged in the community, listening to feedback and updating and patching the game at a pace that could only be call "fevered".
As it stands, it is a fascinating hidden gem of an RPG that will no doubt only become better and more refined as time goes on under the developer's constant refinement. If you're willing to put up with a few growing pains, I have no doubt any old school RPG enthusiast would find a lot to love about this game.
Stubbieoz:

Wow, what a gem of a game. This is indie game development at its best.
The graphics are lacking for sure but they work really well within the context of the game. There is an absolute ton of content to this game. Lots of secrets to discover and a real feeling of accomplishment when you work things out. The tactical combat is a real joy to play. You can save anytime out of combat and battles are quick.
The devs are really passionate and active in the forum. They are currently churning out patches almost every day. Which brings me to the one caveat I currently have. While the game appears to be complete, it is lacking in some tooltips and clarification on some game mechanics. But these are being addressed in the forum as they are being reported on and some early game breaking bugs have since been smashed.
Totally worth the current asking price. If you like old school rpg's with modern game mechanics you will love this.

I give this game a 4 out of 5 schooners.... along with a middy.
Eremycore:

Easily one of the best games I have played in a long time. Learning skills and abilities feels good. Each party member fills out specific roles and can be tweaked with equipment and skills. Their little bits of dialog here and there give them personality and make you care about them.
Combat is fair and pushes you to get creative with abilities while not feeling like you are forced to stick to any meta or handcuff you into playing a certain way. There may be minor UI bugs every so often but the dev is rolling out multiple updates a day at this point. They clearly care about this game and so should you.
More information.

All that and the dev is answers questions personally in the Steam forums. Early access, mind, but very much fleshed out and elaborate. It's also sleek and pretty, but the 2D-ness still feels a bit flimsy to me, less solid, somehow.

Nice idea to grab some steam reviews if no "real" reviews from gaming sites or youtubers are around. Will give the smaller games some spotlight. :)
Especially if they deserve it, like this one :)

Back
Top Bottom