Marvel's Midnight Suns - The Good, The Bad, and The Undead DLC Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Worthplaying checked out The Good, The Bad, and The Undead DLC for Marvel's Midnight Suns:

PC Review - 'Marvel's Midnight Suns' The Good, The Bad, and The Undead DLC

Marvel's Midnight Suns was a welcome sign of relief among 2022's back half of high-profile games. Marvel remains a fan favorite, and no one will question Firaxis' pedigree with strategy games, but with titles like Gotham Knights ending up being such disappointments with players, it was good to see this game live up to the hype. The title has a season pass, and the $50 price tag gives one pause, since there are a number of times when the DLC doesn't live up to the heights of the base game. The Good, The Bad, and The Undead marks the first DLC of the season pass to hit the public, and it looks like the DLC is off to a good and interesting start.

Before you even get to the DLC, you'll need to make some significant progress through the main campaign. Without spoiling anything considering how new the game is, you'll have to get close to the halfway point and get to a milestone with a certain character before a side mission opens up that lets you meet the newest addition to the roster, Deadpool. The merc was hired by Doctor Doom to retrieve a valuable and powerful artifact, but he isn't alone. Sin, the granddaughter of Red Skull, is also on the hunt for this object, along with her army of vampyres.

[...]

Marvel's Midnight Suns: The Good, The Bad, and The Undead DLC might scare off people with its $15 price tag for one new character and three new missions. The price is steep, even if the new enemies and Deadpool pop up in other side missions. The content is good and fits well with the established mechanics without getting too chaotic, and it is a nice introduction to a new story arc. For now, despite the score, you should probably hold off on this unless you already have the Season Pass or you're a huge fan of the Merc with a Mouth.

Score: 7.0/10
More information.

I have the season pass and loved the base game. I am not at all a fan of the breaking of the 4th wall that Deadpool does all the time. Some enjoy that but I dislike it myself. A rare subtle comment sure but these are common and not remotely subtle.

I am not at all a fan of the breaking of the 4th wall that Deadpool does all the time. Some enjoy that but I dislike it myself. A rare subtle comment sure but these are common and not remotely subtle.
I couldn't enjoy the movies for that same reason. I tried watching the first Deadpool film, and I was rolling my eyes every few minutes. Just not the kind of humor I like and way too much of it.

Firaxis always charges a lot for their DLC. In this case, too much. Having finished the game, I can't see myself playing it again just for this.

If I liked the ending better (which we talked about and I mellowed a bit about it) I could see waiting till all the DLC's were in, skipping Deadpool, and playing again. I suppose I still could but most likely I will set it aside as a very fond and fun memory of a game that gave me a lot of entertainment. Maybe if their is a sequel I will pick it up again. For now once is enough.

Bought the base game over Christmas and just started playing. No camera zoom out/in while walking around? FoV settings perhaps?

Bought the base game over Christmas and just started playing. No camera zoom out/in while walking around? FoV settings perhaps?

Not that I recall. In many ways it felt a bit like an Indie style game. I mean I really enjoyed it and totally got hooked on Hunter and Charlie. I grew up on comics and I love the occult super heroes on top of that not to mention the "Hunter" dual wield blade style ... and a hell hound buddy! So it hit a lot of notes for me that let me gloss over a lot of things. So for me it was top notch although as mentioned can't really see playing it again now that I know how it all goes. I am the same with most story intensive games with a mostly set player character. I tend to replay more open world games or ones like Kingmaker and WOTR.

Anyhow I ramble. Camera control in the battles and photomode but not exploring sadly. Surprised you picked it up as didn't think this was your style game. I am not big on combat but I actually enjoyed it a lot in this game. Mainly for the over the top effects and I liked the card combat way more then I expected. Maybe from when I used to play Magic the Gathering (card based not computer) when I was younger. I played on easy but I still enjoyed fighting a lot. On easy I felt more like a real super hero.

I didn't end up finishing the game. It was fun while it lasted, but the combat stopped being interesting about halfway through and the story was just ok.
Never been a big fan of card-based combat but I bought it as I loved XCOM2 and hoped they would do something special with it. Oddly enough they did and the combat is much better than I expected, but the card system is still a faff for me. Especially running back and forth to different menus for different types of upgrades and so on.

The friendship system which is more jRPGish than I've ever seen in a game like this before is not a plus on my side although others may love it.

I did enjoy the exploration part of the Abbey enough to get through most of that content and reading through a lot of those notes.

All in all a fun game, but not great for me.

I didn't end up finishing the game. It was fun while it lasted, but the combat stopped being interesting about halfway through and the story was just ok.
Never been a big fan of card-based combat but I bought it as I loved XCOM2 and hoped they would do something special with it. Oddly enough they did and the combat is much better than I expected, but the card system is still a faff for me. Especially running back and forth to different menus for different types of upgrades and so on.

The friendship system which is more jRPGish than I've ever seen in a game like this before is not a plus on my side although others may love it.

I did enjoy the exploration part of the Abbey enough to get through most of that content and reading through a lot of those notes.

All in all a fun game, but not great for me.
Thanks for the feedback Pladio. I was considering getting this to play next week based on other feedback but I often find my tastes are similar to yours so I might hold back on this one. I think I'll still play it someday but I'm also a bit burned out on turn based combat games from playing so many over the last month.

Especially running back and forth to different menus for different types of upgrades and so on.
That was terrible design, but had nothing to do with being a card based game. I've played a lot of card based games, and none of them wasted nearly as much of my time running around to do different types of upgrades.

So far, the combat can be fun (if a bit simplistic) but I'm not a big fan of all the running around in the Abbey with the linear "go here, do that" storytelling. The missions also feel superfluous and unimportant in the context of things - very unhurried and lackadasical end-of-days.

Love the combat animations, bored with a lot of the rest.
LoRGbSc.png

That was terrible design, but had nothing to do with being a card based game. I've played a lot of card based games, and none of them wasted nearly as much of my time running around to do different types of upgrades.
Yup, completely agree.
So many ways they could have made that better.

For me it added another layer to the card game which was useless though.

Back
Top Bottom