Geneforge 2 - Infestation - Kickstarter live

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Kickstarter for Geneforge 2 - Infestation has started:

Geneforge 2 - Infestation

The indie cult classic, totally remastered! Open ended fantasy role-playing fun with your own army of custom-made mutant monsters.

The Geneforge Saga is a true cult classic from the distant history of indie games. Started in 1999, it was a series of unique and innovative role-playing games, with a one-of-a-kind setting, fascinating story, and a level of open-endedness that still stands out today.

They were also really fun, and they still are.

Want to use trickery and diplomacy to win the game without ever attacking a single foe? You can. Want a ton of different factions to join, some of which are actually insane? We're happy to oblige. Want to scorch the earth, devastating every location you find? Um, it's an option.

Geneforge games don't hand you a 'bad guy'. You decide who is bad. Pick a side and start fighting.

And, of course, whatever you do, you can create your own army of custom-made mutant monsters.

The Geneforge games have had a cult following for decades, but they are very old.

Our tiny little company worked on the five parts of the Geneforge Saga from 1999 to 2008. They were truly unique games, with a strange and fascinating world, complex characters, tough moral choices, and a blend of fantasy and science fiction unlike anything that had come before.

However, they don't run properly on modern computers, and they don't exist on mobile devices at all. These games were huge successes and developed quite a following, and it pains us to see them disappear from the Earth.

Thus, this remaster. We are going through the Geneforge Saga, one game at a time, and giving each a massive, ground-up remaster. They will always be scrappy, retro indie games, but now they can be that in a bigger, funner, more modern way. We already made Geneforge 1 - Mutagen, and it was a big success. (Playing Geneforge 1 is not at all necessary to enjoy Geneforge 2.)

It is time to return to Geneforge 2, first released in 2003. We want to create Geneforge 2 - Infestation.

[...]
Thanks Kordanor!

More information.

Nice! It is almost funded already.

I never got into their games, but maybe I should try the first remaster, since it's also on sale at the moment.

Edit: On sale at Steam , not GOG (yet?)

Last edited:
Nice! It is almost funded already.

I never got into their games, but maybe I should try the first remaster, since it's also on sale at the moment.

Edit: On sale at Steam , not GOG (yet?)
My Personal Opinion is that the first remaster is the worst Spiderweb game since I play these games (since Avadon). As these monster summon mechanic just doesnt work out. It basically means that very one or two fights you need to return to town, to resummon and go back to the dungeon. And you just summon all the same creatures.
Unless of course you play on easy where you just steamroll everything.
If you want to play a Spiderweb game, then check out Avernum: Escape from the Pit. For a shorter, a bit mor Linear Experience check out Queens Wish 1. If you like either of those, you will likely also like the successors. Avadon isn't bad either, thats the most linear series.

Regarding Geneforge 2 I hope that this core mechanic is changed. But I somehow doubt it.

I think later Geneforge Titles (from the original series) play in the same universe but have different mechanics again as you play the other side.

Last edited:
I took a gander at the project, saw that they've almost hit the goal, so they won't need my coinage. I kicked in for the prior game and I'll get this one someway down the line, I know already that I'll enjoy it!

And I probably won't have to wonder if my computer will play it. -p

I've played numerous Spiderweb games. While I appreciate the effort such a small studio goes too, (it's certainly impressive!) I always find they don't hold my interest for long. It's hard to put my finger on it, but there's something missing from them for me. Perhaps story related, some soul just isn't there.

Daniel.

I prefer the charm of the original - and the scouting mechanic. New engine doesn’t allow separation of the party

My Personal Opinion is that the first remaster is the worst Spiderweb game since I play these games (since Avadon). As these monster summon mechanic just doesnt work out. It basically means that very one or two fights you need to return to town, to resummon and go back to the dungeon. And you just summon all the same creatures.
The exact reason, why I left the game after 10 h, even though the lore is pretty nice. It just was too tedious. I will hold off with the second remaster for now. I also already have all the original ones anyway.

I was able to complete the first remaster and, even as a huge cheerleader of the company, I'd agree that the quality just wasn't there. I'm hoping that's not the case when this newest offering is released.

Back
Top Bottom