Labyrinth of Galleria: The Moon Society - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Noisy Pixel checked out the dungeon crawler Labyrinth of Galleria: The Moon Society:

Labyrinth of Galleria: The Moon Society Review - Profoundly Covert

Labyrinth of Galleria The Moon Society is an addictive dungeon-crawling RPG that fans of the genre will undoubtedly sink dozens upon dozens of hours into. Its involved yet approachable gameplay systems, meaningful sense of consequence, and cathartic breakthroughs of progress make it a joy to spend time learning. Even amidst some area design choices I perceived as stumbles, unnecessarily drawn-out tutorials, and bland environments, this was a journey I'm glad I stuck out to its end.

Score: 8/10
More information.

I think this game is pretty good, but way overpriced.
I agree on it being overpriced, but I don't see much of a way for DRPGs to make money when having higher production value and a niche audience. My big gripe is the formation mechanic. I want to create a party and that's my party. I love when there are more classes than slots and I have to put a lot of thought into party composition to gain certain skills or functions, and have to give up stuff I want - some sort of give and take, and you can't have it all. With the last game in this series I was having a lot of fun until I got to the zone with the little castles and tiny people and all of a sudden my party goes from five people to seven million people in five slots. I don't get it, and I don't understand the appeal. The whole appeal of DRPGs to me is making a party and seeing if I made a party good enough to beat the game.

I agree on it being overpriced, but I don't see much of a way for DRPGs to make money when having higher production value and a niche audience. My big gripe is the formation mechanic. I want to create a party and that's my party. I love when there are more classes than slots and I have to put a lot of thought into party composition to gain certain skills or functions, and have to give up stuff I want - some sort of give and take, and you can't have it all. With the last game in this series I was having a lot of fun until I got to the zone with the little castles and tiny people and all of a sudden my party goes from five people to seven million people in five slots. I don't get it, and I don't understand the appeal. The whole appeal of DRPGs to me is making a party and seeing if I made a party good enough to beat the game.
I agree with you completely. I played the first game a bit further than you did, and had fun with it initially. Instead of having fewer character who get ever increasing abilities, you get new formations each with their own new skills and multiple character slots. This means you have to jump into cold water, dumping your old skills for new ones if you want to try a new formation. It also means constantly having a variety of levels in your parties, with some characters who can easily be wiped. Since the first game at least had a standard DRPG difficulty where things begin the really ramp up midgame, the unwieldy mechanics and the wierd feeling of progression made me lose my interest at around the 20 hour mark. It reminded me of The Last Remanent, another game with wierd squad mechanincs, which I had troubles wrapping my head around.

Back
Top Bottom