Jagged Alliance 3 - Making a Mercenary

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Tex R. Colburn - professional actor, cowboy, stuntman and mercenary comes back:

DevDiary 3 - Making a Mercenary

Hello and welcome to another DevDiary for Jagged Alliance 3. My name is Boyan Ivanov, and I am the co-Creative Director of Jagged Alliance 3. Yes, another Boyan no to be confused with my dear friend and college Boian, whom you already know through the first DevDiary.

What made Jagged Alliance 1 and 2 so special was the cast of unique and quirky mercenaries under your command. There were many memorable personalities, and every player had his favorites. Some of mine are Barry, Fox and Tex from the first installment.

We knew that to make a great Jagged Alliance sequel we had to have a big roster of mercs, and we had to get them right.

Tex - Cowboy of the Rising Sun

Speaking of Tex, while he was a bit too busy being a B-list movie star in Jagged Alliance 2, he's back in action in Jagged Alliance 3.

To tackle the challenge of recreating the old mercs like Tex we need to do our research. We began by creating a profile document for each merc with their background and story or at least what was known about them.

We then extracted all the voice lines from Jag 1 and 2 to get the vibe and feel of the character. Combing all of those for additional information and character quirks and idiosyncrasies. Like Tex calling enemies rustlers and asking you if you prefer Clint Eastwood or John Wayne.

We knew we wanted to advance the timeline only by a couple of years and we wanted to reflect that in some of the characters. For Tex things weren't going all that well in Unfinished Business (the expansion to Jagged Alliance 2) and as B-list action movies fell out of fashion he had to don his six shooters once more and sign back up with AIM.

[...]
Thanks Henriquejr!

More information.

Steam says coming soon but they're still doing voice acting.

Looks very good. I really like the deliberate aging of the character "Fauda" that is profiled in the game progress. Kind of a mini side-rant -- I got sick of almost everyone in modern tv shows being young all the time. Older actors often just seem to have more depth and richness in them as actors, naturally they also have more life experience as well.
I think video games should feature older people more often as well. That is one of the best features of many of our favorite CRPG's, that you decide how young and how old your main character
(or characters are, when designing a custom party) I think this type of personalization really connects the player with the character in this way, unlike the pre-set and narrowly defined character of many other games.

They've got to get a lot of things right with this one, and I'm hoping they pull it all off.
I'm the opposite as most THQ Nordic/ Embracer funded games have been mediocre.

So far I would say that all details are pointing towards the game becoming decent or better.
The only 2 things I can think of which point in the opposite direction are: 1. THQ also did JA Rage, and 2. The developer also did Omerta.

Looks very good. I really like the deliberate aging of the character "Fauda" that is profiled in the game progress. Kind of a mini side-rant -- I got sick of almost everyone in modern tv shows being young all the time. Older actors often just seem to have more depth and richness in them as actors, naturally they also have more life experience as well.
Rememinds me of Last Action Hero. I think there was a scene where Arnolds Character came into reality and was wondering why there were so many ugly people (because in his movie reality they never existed)

I also find it pretty cool that Fauda is Peschmerga. Which is something I feel is not well known and might bring some people to looking up what that actually is. ^^

Back
Top Bottom