Gothic 3 - Review @ Mortismal Gaming

I never finished this game, but had quite a bit of fun.
It still looks quite pretty actually for such an old game.
Same here. It remains the only Piranha Bytes game that I've never actually finished. I put around 200 hours into it before getting burned out.

Beautiful environments, but there are too many generic side quests. If I was to ever replay it, I'd focus more on the main story and not try to complete every single quest.

Hmm i still remember how upset i was i could not play this at release because my gpu was too old lol, it required some greater version of pixel shader and because of that i bought a new pc months later. Every time i watched the trailers i was drooling, it was light years ahead of Gothic 2 graphically.

With its scale and breathtaking soundtrack, weak side quests and less populated areas can be forgiven in Gothic 3. As others mentioned, the graphics and environments were beautiful.

One of most anticipated games in my gaming history and also one of biggest disappointments. The game was unfinished on release in almost every aspect. Mechanics, quests, dialogues, even the main questline was just barely holding together. Not to mention trchnical state of the game. Piranhas clearly bit more then they could handle.
Community patches made it much better experience over time, but I will not loose my time over it again. G1+2 i replayed multiple times. But I will never revisit G3. At least PB survived and still make games today...

After loving the first two, this game just didn't end up as good for me. I hit a road block trying to liberate the towns. After a while the orcs cotton on to you, absolutely makes sense. But as a quest completionist, suddenly being unable to progress them, completely ruined it for me.

I did hear there was a mod that changed this, so maybe I'll replay one day.

Daniel.

I agree with his overall impressions. He did forget to mention the halberds though. The only "viable" melee option. They're actually very strong. Probably the second strongest style of combat, behind magic.

I still remember a long line of Orcs from one city I had just tried to liberate...waiting for me patiently to tackle them in small groups . Very considerate :biggrin:

But I also spent 100's of hours on it and did finish the main quest - not sure I have the patience for that these days tho

Oh yeaaahh! They semi bugged and came running one at a time, or in small groups. I had totally forgotten that.

Oh yeaaahh! They semi bugged and came running one at a time, or in small groups. I had totally forgotten that.
Iirc, that wasn't a bug. I thought PB did it that way intentionally so the player wouldn't get overwhelmed. Didn't the community patch allow you to change that somewhat? I think it lets you choose to allow the AI to send 1, 2, or 3 enemies at one time against the player.

I think so, but there was also some weird running around issue if ran away or something. I don't remember the details. I just have some weird imagery in my head of them sprinting towards me in low numbers or some such thing, and that it was something I could consistently do to make things easier.

I didn't find the environments interesting at all. I found it large and uninteresting. Mostly generic towns (except for the one in the desert), generic npcs and full of wilderness with nothing interesting to find. A massive step down from G2 and it was the start of the decline for PB. At least it didn't have respawns everytime you teleport though (like Elex).

Back
Top Bottom