HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Eurogamer has collected some info about Miasma Chronicles:

Miasma Chronicles wants to be bigger and better than Mutant Year Zero

I think it's going to do it.

Bearded Ladies describes Miasma Chronicles as a "story of chosen family, mutant killers, sweeping post-apocalyptic American landscapes and powergloves". Like Mutant Year Zero, the studio's acclaimed game from 2018, it's another turn-based tactical RPG. At the very start of the story, players meet Elvis, a young man brought to the mining town of Sedentary, Kentucky as a baby, where he was left by his mother.

Elvis has a 'brother', a robot named Diggs, who was reprogrammed by Elvis' mother before she left her son in his care. Together, this duo will have to solve the mystery of the Miasma, a strange entity that I'm told "threatens the last vestiges of humanity and turns all who come in contact with it into barbaric corruptions of their former selves". As the brothers make their way through the world, they will be joined by a motley crew of outlandish characters. Additionally, Elvis has use of that mysterious powerglove, left to him by his mother, that can control the Miasma.

Set in New America, some 200 years in the future, Miasma Chronicles is clearly engaged with the climate crisis and late capitalism of today's world. "There are a lot of things that are related to ecological storytelling, and the current status of the earth's ecology," Miasma Chronicles' lead producer Mark Parker says, while showing me the game in action. "The planet, at one point, was a perfect place, where there was no pollution, and there was no hunger and the world's problems were solved. That was called The Great Stability... but something bad happened, and the world looks like it does now."

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

I quoted some players comment that didn't seem from newbies quoting how past first parts first combats it was mainly attacks stealth to manage combats. I found this discouraging to read that when I was struggling to get through some areas, I paused and forgot the game.

Bigger and better won't be enough to appeal me, more combats too and less "stealth combats" will be required, and stealth shouldn't be sort of OP or dominating non Stealth.

The game does look good, but with Zelda coming out tonight it'll be a skip at this time. Maybe on a sale sometime in the future, if the reviews are decent.

I quoted some players comment that didn't seem from newbies quoting how past first parts first combats it was mainly attacks stealth to manage combats. I found this discouraging to read that when I was struggling to get through some areas, I paused and forgot the game.
Are you talking about Mutant Year Zero? Miasma Chronicles doesn't release until May 23

Are you talking about Mutant Year Zero? Miasma Chronicles doesn't release until May 23
Yes MYZ, as MC is from same dev, same lore, it is a follow up and problems I had with the first will make me not bother on the second if those problems aren't targeted.

Yes MYZ, as MC is from same dev, same lore, it is a follow up and problems I had with the first will make me not bother on the second if those problems aren't targeted.
Despite some similarities I dont think that Miasma is the same lore as Mutant Year Zero.

Mutant Year Zero took the zone from Stalker, inserted 2 cartoon characters, and basically had no story to speak of. I played to the end hoping for something, but there wasn't any.

It played okay enough, a lot of stealth and getting the first barrage off as said above. Without the pursuit of storyline though, it's shallow and basically worth the 1 playthrough.

This is gonna be the same thing I expect.

Mutant Year Zero took the zone from Stalker, inserted 2 cartoon characters, and basically had no story to speak of. I played to the end hoping for something, but there wasn't any.
It played okay enough, a lot of stealth and getting the first barrage off as said above. Without the pursuit of storyline though, it's shallow and basically worth the 1 playthrough.
This is gonna be the same thing I expect.
Not exactly. Miasma is proper RPG with normal NPCs, dialogues, story. Only the party is smaller than in most CRPGs and RPG system more simple (could be very simple) so its like small humorous CRPG-lite.

Despite some similarities I dont think that Miasma is the same lore as Mutant Year Zero.
Ooops I thought it was, the post apo misguided me, frankly I never felt comfortable with the animal things, not that it bother much after a few hours.
Not exactly. Miasma is proper RPG with normal NPCs, dialogues, story. Only the party is smaller than in most CRPGs and RPG system more simple (could be very simple) so its like small humorous CRPG-lite.
Many Tactical games (didn't wrote majority) have NPC (few), dialogues, story, and I can add characters/companions. It's not making them RPG. For example I would quote, Super Dungeon Tactics, pleasant story to follow but more importantly a good pack of characters/companions fun to follow, and good original combats.

And then a game as Expeditions Rome even focused on tactical combats is a RPG, Tactical RPG but still RPG not a focused tactical game.

That said, MC seems be in my target if dev achieves this time to make good combats without Stealth abuse. Already added in whish list to check it deeper after release, and when I'll have the appeal to do so.

Back
Top Bottom