Star Trek: Resurgence - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RPG Site reviewed the upcoming RPG Star Trek: Resurgence:

Star Trek: Resurgence Review

Three decades ago, Interplay Productions released the first Star Trek video game to deliver the space franchise's winning formula of good people solving complex situations primarily with their brains and not their brawn. Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, it was called, and it truly made players feel like they'd taken on the role of Captain James Tiberius Kirk on multiple missions filled with mystery and drama. A sequel soon followed called Star Trek: Judgment Rites, and that one's even better.

[...]

And really, I recommend most interested parties give Star Trek: Resurgence a shot. Even if you're not a preexisting guru, even if you don't know your Borg from your Bajorans, you'll more than understand the gist of what the writers intend to convey.

Though if you're especially sensitive toward shoddy gameplay mechanics, you might give it a pass, or at least wait for a patch or two. The game's status as more of a visual novel arguably shields the USS Resolute from some degree of criticism toward its other aspects, but frustration is frustration, and every time I felt it, I just wanted to get back to the dialogue and critical choices again, please.

On a final note, there is a five-issue comic book series by IDW by IDW Publishing that you might pick up before playing the game. I have not read it yet, as I wanted to see whether the game would stand on its own without necessitating the multimedia approach. It does.

Star Trek: Resurgence goes boldly, but the refit Resolute's shakedown cruise can be a bumpy one. Yet, for all the game's faults, Jara Rydek and Carter Diaz won me over in full, and I bet they'll win you over, too.

Score: 7/10
More information.

It was a confusing review, opening with a reference to the two point and click games from the 90s, but this looks like one of the Telltale Walking Dead games. Toward the end its referred to as a 'visual novel' so very loosely a RPG. Oh well, maybe someday we'll get a Star Trek RPG.
I'd happily take a Hogwarts style Trek game at least!

It was a confusing review, opening with a reference to the two point and click games from the 90s, but this looks like one of the Telltale Walking Dead games. Toward the end its referred to as a 'visual novel' so very loosely a RPG. Oh well, maybe someday we'll get a Star Trek RPG.
I'd happily take a Hogwarts style Trek game at least!
Yeah, I was disappointed after taking a closer look. Not only does it seem to be more of an adventure game than an RPG, but it's apparently very short too. That's fine if the experience is good enough, but the reviews seem to indicate that it's pretty average.

It's also an Epic exclusive which I know will turn a lot of people off.

As a person that generally loves all Star Trek stuff ( well, prior to Abrams holding the damn franchise hostage), I'm surprised I've not ever heard of this one yet.

I've slightly or somewhat enjoyed Telltale-type games in the past, including their first Batman game (I liked it but not enough to play the second one in their Batman series) as well as other similar-seeming games such as Life Is Strange. I'm somewhat looking forward to this game, being a huge Star Trek TNG fan, and I'll wait for more reviews.

I'm also looking forward to the Telltale games Expanse game which I think will be released this year.

I'd give it a pop if it wasn't only on Epic. I just don't need another account in another store at this point. It's already hard enough to keep track of which games I have where.

When I saw Telltale I knew I could ignore. Their games are not for me. Only ever played the first Walking Dead and didn't really like it. Decent writing but having a 30+ woman play a young child I'm supposed to care about just didn't work for me. One you hear the 30 year old actress you can't unhear it.

When I saw Telltale I knew I could ignore. Their games are not for me. Only ever played the first Walking Dead and didn't really like it. Decent writing but having a 30+ woman play a young child I'm supposed to care about just didn't work for me. One you hear the 30 year old actress you can't unhear it.
I was about to comment that this isn't from Telltale, but then I looked up Dramatic Labs and saw that 20+ former Telltale writers are part of them. I didn't realize Telltale even had the many writers.

Back
Top Bottom