System Shock - Review

Small icons? I guess IDID was playing on a couch?

It's strange that they didn't improve the combat. I have to agree with the review on that point; even back then, the combat in the original game felt unrewarding and didn't give enough feedback. I don't mind turning the combat off or on the easiest setting though. And yeah, the small map is very hard to read.

It's difficult for me to get any confidence in this game.

For example, this dev's thread ('Question everything') has been pinned and there are many interesting questions - 17 pages of them - but I haven't seen any reply from the team. Why would they post that if they're going to ignore it?

It was the same with the bug reports, it's hard to know what they have fixed and what they haven't since there never was any reply nor any answer. And the last demo was in bad shape for me, with texture resolution problems and hard-coded QWERTY mappings that made it impossible for me to play the game.

It's messy. Are they listening at all? The WccfTech interview felt off too.

I'll wait to see other reviews. Maybe I'll risk it in a few months and get a refund if the gamble proves to be a bad one.

I loved it, back then. First person RPG, sci-fi setting, THE atmosphere ... it all felt so unique.
Really looking forward to playing this remake, just need to find some time for it.

Glad to see it's getting positive reviews. I had Beta access, but I only played up to the third area because I want the finished product before I do a full playthrough. I got my backer key for the full Steam release a few days ago.

Regarding the combat, it definitely wasn't great in the Beta. I'm hoping it's better in the final release, but I don't see it being on par with most modern first-person shooters. That said, combat isn't really the focus here so we shouldn't be comparing it to Doom, etc.

The other thing that needed improving in the Beta was the AI. Enemies often didn't react to sound when they were close enough that they should have been reacting. I really hope they've fixed that because it made things too easy when I could just take out enemies one at a time because of that.

This looks pretty good, warts n all, going by the reviews.
I've never played the original, but I have played most of System Shock 2 (inc. in co-op). I'm going to download the demo and if I like what I see - purchase time!

EDIT: I liked the demo, but only played an hour because I don't want to ruin the full game for myself (I think the demo is a few months old and not sure saves transfer). I think the HTH combat was a bit lacking, but I quite liked the atmosphere and retro aesthetic. So, good enough for a purchase. (y)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom