RPG General News - CD Projekt Veterans launch a new Studio

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Couchpotato spotted this on PC Gamer:

Witcher 3 director and Cyberpunk producer launch a new studio: 'After working for years in an increasingly conservative industry, we're ready to make bold, impactful projects'

A team of CD Projekt veterans including Witcher 3 co-director Mateusz Kanik, producer Jędrzej Mróz, and Cyberpunk 2077 senior producer Marcin Jefimow, have launched a new studio called Blank that is currently working on "a character-driven game set in an apocalypse, with a twist or two."

[...]

"After working for years in an increasingly conservative industry, we're ready to make bold, impactful projects that share our unique creativity and values," Kanik said. "Where the industry champions a dictatorship of the creative individual, we want to give ownership to the team. Where the industry leans on crunch culture, we prefer work-life balance. Where the industry says bigger is better, we're setting our sights on highly polished games with a focus on emotion, story, and craftsmanship."

[...]
More information.

I take this news about "rogue cells" of a studio breaking off to make their own things because they are rebellious, brave entrepreneurs in a world of bureaucracy and suits with a pinch of salt. The narrative is just too easily sold, but in truth, these "rebellious spirits" rarely, if ever, actually finish any project worth looking at and the fact that they were former members of something that was good in times of yore is their only selling point.

I wish them luck, but more than that, I wish them to work with talent and dedication so that they may reach their goals and create things worth remembering.

Pretty much that. Sounds... not uninteresting, but they have delivered zero yet. Until they deliver something, I will stay cautious. Of course, good luck for them.

Sound good, especially the part about the project being post-apoc which is my favorite setting, but I wish there was more info regarding their vision for the game. Also, it's only 10 people right now. They say they want to grow to 60 for the game, but I wonder who's going to fund that.

...coming to a Kickstarter near you!

Prediction # 1.

Prediction #2. A small but visionary project eventually releases in 5 years. It's a sales disappointment but shows the potential of the team.

Prediction #3. Most the key players of this new studio are lured back by ridiculous money and a promise of complete freedom by the next mega-corporation to purchase a currently-successful production company.

...and the cycle continues. Yeah, I'm cynical.

I take this news about "rogue cells" of a studio breaking off to make their own things because they are rebellious, brave entrepreneurs in a world of bureaucracy and suits with a pinch of salt. The narrative is just too easily sold, but in truth, these "rebellious spirits" rarely, if ever, actually finish any project worth looking at and the fact that they were former members of something that was good in times of yore is their only selling point.

I wish them luck, but more than that, I wish them to work with talent and dedication so that they may reach their goals and create things worth remembering.
You are right. From this announcement you can already tell it will be a small game, "a focus on emotion, story, and craftsmanship" makes it sound like Gone Home.

But that's the honest, correct way to spin off - starting small, build on success, try for a big title 3-4 games in. The teams you're talking about bite off too much, too quickly, and think that it's possible to do big titles without bureaucracy. Bureaucracy is born from the need to organize large teams.

This makes the third or fourth new studio from Ex-CD Projekt employees. So yeah I don't expect much from this new developer, but will be pragmatic and wait for more info.

Anyway they shared one new screenshot.
1685926195001.png
Looks like it will be cell-shaded. I hate that style of graphics.(n)

You are right. From this announcement you can already tell it will be a small game, "a focus on emotion, story, and craftsmanship" makes it sound like Gone Home.

But that's the honest, correct way to spin off - starting small, build on success, try for a big title 3-4 games in. The teams you're talking about bite off too much, too quickly, and think that it's possible to do big titles without bureaucracy. Bureaucracy is born from the need to organize large teams.
Not about the topic of studios with ex employee of, but the topic of bureaucracy. The claim quoted isn't about bureaucracy but about designs forced to this or that.

It can look weird wen you think of The Witcher 1, but for The Witcher 3 if not already the 2, the auto censorship was clearly at a higher level. It could be also related to "necessity" to make wide open world, but quoting the industry on that looks not proper. At worse the industry only saw through it a tool for AAA budgets to setup games out of the concurrence, but it's players that bought in mass wide open world games.

Or it could be related to something else as acceptable blueprints being limited in industry, a typical example would be turn based, but I doubt it's the point of those guys for the new studio.

The point remain that a good Bureaucracy isn't intended to limit creativity or something, it's just about management.

"ighly polished games with a focus on emotion, story, and craftsmanship"..... oh boy.
It's gonna be a walking sim, isn't it?

So did I prophesize correctly before its release that Cyberpunk 2077 will be a big flop? :D Best proof ever, if these developers felt they finally needed fresh air to do something that plays well! Totally agree with their statement!

So did I prophesize correctly before its release that Cyberpunk 2077 will be a big flop? :D Best proof ever, if these developers felt they finally needed fresh air to do something that plays well! Totally agree with their statement!
If you're really asking, no, you didn't.

Not sure I'd call it a flop. It's sold over 20 million copies.
If 40 millions was planed it's a flop. It's also budget related and time spend. I forgot since how long I wait a clean version, but ok I would not be surprised it's not 20 millions but more 40+ millions and higher.

For sure they know sell games and no, quality isn't enough to sell games.

EDIT: Last month, 3.567 new steam reviews for HD1666, and 4.838 for ER, gee. Skyrim 2.137 sigh.

Last edited:
Last edited:
If 40 millions was planed it's a flop. It's also budget related and time spend.
The budget was around $315 million ($US), and it's done well over $600 million in sales. I'm not sure what their net profit is, but I think it's safe to say they didn't lose money.

Back
Top Bottom