RPG General News - Making of Bard's Tale Construction Set

Damn - this is probably the one game that I lost my complete game box of. Painful gap in my collection!

Heh, I had read about this being in development in some gaming magazine back then and was so excited I filled pages and pages of graph paper with maps and monster stats and so on in preparation to put it into BTCS once it would come out. That is when I realised that it only supported 20x20 maps, so all my plans were for nought.
If I'd find my old notes, I think I could still cover my living room floor with the world map I had made. Maybe there is a construction kit that will allow infinite maps nowadays?

Anyway, always a joy listening to Tim here. Thanks, Silver!

This story warms my heart. When he mentions the Dragon magazine review it sealed it. :)

I loved these types of "construction sets" that allowed you to make your own games. I always thought it was too bad that the Bard's Tale Construction Set didn't result in a lot more playable Bards Tale games. I can't remember ever seeing a single game produced with this.

I loved these types of "construction sets" that allowed you to make your own games. I always thought it was too bad that the Bard's Tale Construction Set didn't result in a lot more playable Bards Tale games. I can't remember ever seeing a single game produced with this.
This unfortunately preceded the WWW, so no creator's community to spread the love. Still, find some creations here: https://bardstaleonline.com/btcs/homebrew

Ehhh, we did have bulletin boards to discuss these things....back in the day. Wait, it really wasn't that long ago, right?

I could be slightly over the teenage years.....

Back
Top Bottom