Arkane Studios - How Redfall destroyed Arkane

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Green Dragon CVR tells the story how the development of Redfall affected Arkane:

How Redfall Destroyed Arkane

It has become public knowledge that 70% of Arkane's staff (who "weren't interested in developing a multiplayer game") departed during Redfall's development. Join Alex & Mike for an awe-inspiring and tragic exploration of how Zenimax & Arkane leadership destroyed a world-class studio responsible for numerous masterpieces.
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

Didn't watch the video, but this is pretty sad. I wasn't aware that much of the staff had left. Hopefully they're able to replace them with similarly talented people, but I think it's unlikely at this point that we'll ever get anything like Dishonored or Prey from Arkane again.

Redfall is a Multiplayer game or a coop game? Because MP and coop are two very different things.

I tried solo and briefly (if it improves past the very first parts, like perhaps first parts setup was desgined to be very easy and simple for being as an extended tutorial) and it's seriously unbelievable that an area past the crashed ship could be so empty and with only a few very basic very easy combats.

Didn't watch the video, but this is pretty sad. I wasn't aware that much of the staff had left. Hopefully they're able to replace them with similarly talented people, but I think it's unlikely at this point that we'll ever get anything like Dishonored or Prey from Arkane again.
So Arkane Austin is Arkane?

Arkane Austin is one of their 2 studios. The other is Arkane Lyon.
Ok I saw that already and in fact saw in wiki something a bit more complicated. But how 70% of Arkane employees left (I suppose it's global) is related to a game made by Arkane Austin?

The original post/simili article/news/fact comment was making a deep link like a cause to effect, when it smells more than Redfall release state is a consequences of 70% of Arkane left. Without to mention how it feels the manipaulation to quote MP for a Coop game.

Frankly, Arkane Employees quit because they refuse make games with a coop mode doesn't like obtuse employees?

Frankly, Arkane Employees quit because they refuse make games with a coop mode doesn't like obtuse employees?
It's a little more than that. You can also read about it.

When you sign up somewhere because it's what you dream of doing and it corresponds to your philosophy, then, all of a sudden, the company does an 180°, has no leadership, and makes people feel confused about what they should be doing, it's not very motivating. Besides, they're clear signs that something is going down.

It would be foolish to stay.

It's a little more than that. You can also read about it.
The article says "that 70% of Arkane Austin no longer works there".
So the summary from the YouTube video saying "that 70% of Arkane's staff [...] departed" is misleading I would say.

The article says "that 70% of Arkane Austin no longer works there".
So the summary from the YouTube video saying "that 70% of Arkane's staff [...] departed" is misleading I would say.
That's not what my post was about, but you're right, it's not really the same (unless they are very few at Lyon). Who knows which is correct though.

Zenimax & Arkane leadership destroyed a world-class studio responsible for numerous masterpieces.
100% true as the decline started after Dishonored 2. Zenimax meddled because the game sold poorly, and don't forget disagreements/arguments among staff and key leaders

The decline got worse after Ralph Colantonio left and Arkane Lyon was opened.

Frankly the video isn't misleading as I shared links for years on this topic.

Not defending Redfall, as it seems like its genesis was Zenimax looking for its own Fortnite. The 70% attrition metric is actually the following:
By the end of Redfall's development, roughly 70% of the Austin staff who had worked on Prey would no longer be at the company"
Prey came out in 2017, that is six years ago, 70% may not be that indicative of anything. But I think Redglyph's earlier comment is spot on, if you joined Arkane because of games like Dishonored, you'd get disillusioned fast with how Redfall came about.

Back
Top Bottom