SSI - Four Games available again

25-30 years ago, I'd have been all over some of these - particularly Veil of Darkness and The Summoning. I really liked SSI's games, and these ones were hard to find in the UK (at least for me), so they became almost mythical. Subsequently I've bought copies and been rather underwhelmed. Played at the time of release, they were probably solid mid-tier titles. 30 years later, you'll probably need some fairly rose-tinted spectacles...

Veil of Darkness is probably the pick of the litter, although I'm not qualified to comment on Star General, as I haven't played it, and am not a genre fan. The prices feel a touch steep, and honestly, most would be better remastered/reinvisioned for today's audience.

What? No War in Russia!? I guess they didn't want to convert from Atari 8-bit. (Though it turns out there was a remake/expansion for that new-fangled MS-DOS operating system, if you want to try to play on a computer meant for offices.)

Yeah, Veil of Darkness would be the best. It is quite a good little cRPG/adventure/action hybrid.

Can't say I've played any of those, but I doubt I'd be able to get into them now. I probably would have loved Star General back then.

Dark Legions was a super fun sort of successor to Archon. I picked it up many years ago in college on a trip to the Mall of America, and it was fun both single and multiplayer.

Multiplayer goes all the way back. Spacewar was multiplayer! (I kinda doubt the PDP1 could have managed much of an AI opponent.)

More games are returning this week as well.

Back
Top Bottom