Stonekeep - Retrospective Review

I should really replay this one day. Stonekeep along with M&M6 were young me's first cRPGs, but I never really got very far. As far as I remember, it was all somewhat confusing and I didn't have time in those days to really hunker down into a game.

This reviewer *really* doesn't like the game :LOL: While his criticisms are warranted, it's unfair to look at a game from the 1990's with 2023 QoL glasses.

Last edited:
I should really replay this one day. Stonekeep along with M&M6 were young me's first cRPGs, but I never really got very far. As far as I remember, it was all somewhat confusing and I didn't have time in those days to really hunker down into a game.

This reviewer *really* doesn't like the game :LOL: While his criticisms are warranted, it's unfair to look at a game from the 1990's with 2023 QoL glasses.
I didnt watch the full review, but I also replayed it a few years ago and did a review (german only though).
And while I loved it in the 90s, I did apply todays standards judging the game.
It's not like stuff gets worse over time. There are just more games which show how it's done in a better way.
Imho Stonekeep is quite strong for about the first 2/3 of the game, even though the combat is pretty terrible during that time as well (as mentioned in the review).
The last third of the game however, the graphics get worse (the textures for the last area are terrible) the puzzles become worse, and you will now need to do tons of boring fights which take forever.
So my rating with todays standard was only "neutral".
If it's an option for you then...just play the first 2/3 of the game and then drop it ^^

But as mentioned its not like everything which is old is automatically worse now. I am also currently replaying Jagged Alliance 1, which was released around the same time. And that one is still a great game. It had great mechanics back then, and so it still has great mechanics today.

I didnt watch the full review, but I also replayed it a few years ago and did a review (german only though).
And while I loved it in the 90s, I did apply todays standards judging the game.
It's not like stuff gets worse over time. There are just more games which show how it's done in a better way.
Imho Stonekeep is quite strong for about the first 2/3 of the game, even though the combat is pretty terrible during that time as well (as mentioned in the review).
The last third of the game however, the graphics get worse (the textures for the last area are terrible) the puzzles become worse, and you will now need to do tons of boring fights which take forever.
So my rating with todays standard was only "neutral".
If it's an option for you then...just play the first 2/3 of the game and then drop it ^^

But as mentioned its not like everything which is old is automatically worse now. I am also currently replaying Jagged Alliance 1, which was released around the same time. And that one is still a great game. It had great mechanics back then, and so it still has great mechanics today.

I remember this was at a time when game developers were notorious for rushing out games right before the holiday.

I remember this was at a time when game developers were notorious for rushing out games right before the holiday.
Yeah, although here I doubt its the case, because it was reworked over and over and also released several years too late because they were adapting to new tech all the time.

Last edited:
I considered some if the design ideas as pretty neat when it was released. I still remember fight with the octopus in the sewers. Great atmosphere and nice graphics. Kept me going till the end.

Yeah, although in this case I doubt its the case, because if was reworked over and over and also released several years too late because they were adapting to new tech all the time.
I remember this game had a notoriously long development time. Delayed for years. I did enjoy playing it when it was finally released though I was never able to get to the end. What saddens me, is they were working on a sequel, which I was really looking forward to, then it got cancelled. I had hoped that when Brian Fargo left Interplay, he might try to do Stonekeep II again when he felt the time was right.

Highly recommended amazing game to play!!! Also custcenes are magically good!!

Gnomes group-singing and dancing in best-ever The Bard's Tale PC were waaay more fun! :D :D Excellent graphics and glorious narration: aged very well!!
Unfortunately the Humor was the only bit of that game (Bards Tale) which worked well (if thats your type of humor actually)

I clearly remind it felt quickly from my hands, why I don't remind.

EDIT:
Well the awfully ugly graphics and totally weird tone could have been enough to be repulsed by the game, but I don't remind either anything interesting from combats to dungeons tricks.

Stonekeep is nearly three decades old. The graphics were good for its time.
Not really, they were already mocked back then. The issue is that Stonekeep has already been in development for far too long when the game released.
Personally I found them to be ok for the first 2/3 of the game. The last section though with the pinkish walls looks quite horrible.
The FMV Style of the models ofc is also down to taste ^^

Personally I found them to be ok for the first 2/3 of the game. The last section though with the pinkish walls looks quite horrible.
The FMV Style of the models ofc is also down to taste ^^
I never made it to the end. 2/3 is probably right around where I stopped playing for whatever reason. I didn't think the visuals were that bad though, and the game was already quite old when I played it. I probably had lower expectations due to its age.

I love the game dearly yet yeah, even at launch the graphics weren't cutting edge, and they're far from that, now. Though if you want an excellent game with exploration, fine battle mechanics with a good story, this will slam all those appropriate switches.

Back
Top Bottom