Night Dive Studios - Considering an XCOM style Prequel

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
TechRadar reports on Night Dive Studios CEO Stephen Kick's thoughts on a potential prequel using XCOM like mechanics set in the System Shock universe.

The System Shock remake may be out now, but that doesn't mean developer Nightdive Studios is done with the IP.

There's a System Shock 2 remaster coming soon after all, but there might be more. Nightdive CEO and System Shock remake director, Stephen Kick, spoke to TRG in an interview about the development of the game. Towards the end of the conversation, Kick revealed that the team may have plans for the franchise going forward, but not necessarily jumping right into a remake of System Shock 2.

"There's been a lot of discussions about what it is we want to do next," Kick says in our interview, "whether that be a full on remake of System Shock 2 or if we want to let the Enhanced Edition breathe on its own for a bit.

"But we've talked about exploring the System Shock universe in different genres. Maybe an XCOM-like that takes place before the events of System Shock 1, where you're the resistance on Citadel Station, fighting SHODAN's cyborgs and machines. Personally, I think that would be really cool. To kind of experience it from a different angle."

[...]
More information.

Eh...I can't say that sounds very exciting to me. It seems like the market is getting flooded with tactical squad-based games lately. Games like System Shock 1 & 2 are few enough as it is. It's a shame that Tencent owns the rights to System Shock 3.

Eh...I can't say that sounds very exciting to me. It seems like the market is getting flooded with tactical squad-based games lately. Games like System Shock 1 & 2 are few enough as it is. It's a shame that Tencent owns the rights to System Shock 3.
But is there anything excitiing you other than shooters and action games RPG or not?

That is a very good idea! I want anything that plays combat like XCOM: Enemy Within, but not like that useless trash XCOM-2.
Better, make the combat system like X-Piratez! :D
Overall, despite EW improved a lot XCOM vanilla, for me XCOM2 is not match widely better. But it's more like a dead end for a formula pushed to its limits. But if your comment is only related to the lite strategy layout, ok perhaps it had a bit more in 1 than in 2 but thsi part is like 5% of the gameplay depth and diversity and it's a best bet, it's not much significant.

But I don't think XCOM like is meaning like XCOM on very aspects of the blueprint and designs, it's more meaning TB combats and eventually a lite strategy layout.

Never played XPZ but did a bit openXcom, well the problem of mods is they tend aim a very specific target so less players so quite smaller budgets.

But is there anything excitiing you other than shooters and action games RPG or not?
I really enjoyed the XCOM games and hope they make another one. I just don't have any interest in that style of game set in the SS universe. I'd much rather have an actual SS game.

I really enjoyed the XCOM games and hope they make another one. I just don't have any interest in that style of game set in the SS universe. I'd much rather have an actual SS game.
Ooops I imagined stuff, what I wanted say is it's not the best idea to comment on a genre you don't like much. The hypothesis was you don't like much TB tactical with a lighter strategy layout, so for sure the project idea could only look bad to you.

For me XCOM 2 last extension are showing a dev in a dead end for new ideas so I had low hope on more, but it seems after last attempt half disaster XCOM3 is coming, I'd say we will see. For AAA Tactical game there's close to zero concurrence, with a more flexible perspective there's many tactical games I prefered, listing some just because I like them, I won't bother advise anything, I think RPG players aren't the perfect base for very good tactical games because I saw too often too many RPG players don't caring of boredom combats when character/party building was deep enough to master a play. Still, without entering in details on reproach I have on various Fireaxis XCOM, I preferred combats in:
- Ultimate Space Commando.
- Solastas
- Baldur's Gate EA
- BattleTech
- Urtuk
- Phoenix Point
- Phatom Doctrine (alas a very average stealth game but with a lot more content for combats and even artificial a lot of campaign can be played as combats).
- Even Dragonfall but ok it's not a game oriented to tactical combats.

What I means is ok you enjoyed Fireaxis XCOM series, but the genre, really?

To me it seems simple: go back to the original game, use that combat style/mechanic, and simply weave a new/current story. The first game, by far, was the most enjoyable for me, the only real competition was the deep which came out a bit later, if I'm not mistaken. Release a new game with those parameters and I believe people would flock to buy it.

To me it seems simple: go back to the original game, use that combat style/mechanic, and simply weave a new/current story. The first game, by far, was the most enjoyable for me, the only real competition was the deep which came out a bit later, if I'm not mistaken. Release a new game with those parameters and I believe people would flock to buy it.
Didn't Xenonauts already tried? And eventually Xenonauts 2 is going to be better? Or was X2 released already? I think the problem of original x-com series is to still have to prove it can sells well enough to sustain a budget large enough.

Or I totally miss read your post and your comment was related to SS1, but I see no link with xcom, and the deep seems evokes X-COM: Terror from the Deep.

EDIT:
Mmm you probably mean for a TB game used as a base for a SS spin off. Original x-com series is deeply different on management amount of options and depth. For TB combats, I don't remind something that great, from enemies abusing of camping to soldiers dying like mayflies, and TB shooting combats not even on par with JA1 combats.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom