Grotesque Tactics - Coming Soon

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Remember Grotesque, the humorous RPG-in-development by Silent Dreams? You may recall they switched over to a turn-based tactics RPG called Grotesque Tactics to generate some income to feed back to the "main" game. Silent Dreams sent us this PR, announcing Grotesque Tactics is only a few weeks away:
What do Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes, Torchlight, World of Goo and Plants vs Zombies have in common? They re all high quality independent games, which were developed without any publishers and offered on their own homepage. The turn based RPG Grotesque Tactics will be released on the homepage www.grotesque-game.com and sold for around 20 euro.
Important: Every euro is going to push the development of Grotesque, so every purchaser has a big influence in the future of the funny fantasy universe.

The player represents Drake - a depressive commander in a dark leather jacket, who is sometimes called an emo, what he always denies vehemently. Drake was only one step away from committing suicide and hurling himself into the throat of a brutal mushroom, because he wasn t allowed to join the battle, due to the fact that he failed at his military exam. Then the arrogant hero Holy Avatar appears in his shining armor and explains Drake, that he and his semi-divine humble self have more important things to do: Preventing the kingdom of Glory from being conquered by the evil sect of the Dark Church, which slaughtered the whole army of Glory a few hours ago. Now there are no heroes left, who could be recruited for this adventure, so Drake will have to get along with serial killers, thieves and other dubious creatures like, for example, women!

The ironical Grotesque Tactics, which parodies role playing cliches, is also different in other points. The developers of Silent Dreams are back to the roots of old turn based games. With examples like the Nintendo classic game Fire Emblem or Jagged Alliance west & east RPG elements come together in one game. You can control a up to ten headed party, round based, on nine totally different maps (which will be visited more than once). Every character also has its own advantages and disadvantages. But instead of building castles like in Heroes of Might & Magic Grotesque Tactics is a real RPG with a dense storyline and funny multiple choice conversations, which will remind of humorous games like Monkey Island . Your party members need to be found at first, for example the half naked virgins, which have to be rescued out of the claws of evil.
The Evil Heroes are leveled up like in other games. They learn some special attacks, find some valuable treasures in dark dungeons or rainy woods, buy and sell weapons, armor and potions and fight against grotesque creatures like very evil saber-toothed tiger-rabbits!
They also sent us some new screens, which you can check out in our gallery.
More information.

I don't speak german, so...

Time'll tell, but I can hope. It'll be interesting, in any case, to see how they fare about the comedy/parody aspect versus Rampant Games upcoming Frayed Knights.

I don't know anything about this one other than what you guys do, but I wouldn't mind trying out the demo. I love playing a game with loads of comedy thrown in (if it is funny). The last really good one I played was the Quest for Glory series. Bard's Tale was great for the comedy as well. Not so much for the gameplay portion, but I loved the whole "chosen theme songs" those little gremlin like things sang.

Downloadable only ?

Arrrgh, my eyes hurt. I really hope bloom can be turned off.

Arrrgh, my eyes hurt. I really hope bloom can be turned off.

It's the first thing I uncheck in the video options of every game I install, even before playing it. I just hate that thing. I think it's fine for 'dream sequences', but for some reason developers feel the need to put it everywhere even if it makes no sense whatsoever.

The screens remind me of King's Bounty The Legend.

Back
Top Bottom