Mass Effect 2 - Eight Things That Would Make Mass Effect 2 Better Than Its Predeces

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Hooked Gamers brings us an article listing eight things they would like to see improved with Mass Effect 2. Their biggest wish was for a smarter AI. Personally, I hope for a smarter AI and #4 on their list 'Better Inventory Management'. Here is a snippet from the article:
Mass Effect's inventory management is nothing short of confusing. While I thoroughly love the ability to customize weapons and armor in the game, I was hesitant to do so. It is just too much of a chore trying to sort out what is what. From the inventory screens, the player is only able to see textual differences between each item. To make matters worse, most items have the same name with only a Roman numeral to distinguish between two items from the same type or manufacturer. While this is bad enough when you are assigning weapons and armor to your squad, it is even worse when you visit a merchant. It is not uncommon to be dragging along 100+ items (which is good, don't limit this!) at which point the list becomes something of a blur to one's eyes. Pictures or icons with the items will help the player to quickly find what he needs and a simple filter on the item types will solve most of the issues when dealing with merchants.
More information.

I had not problem with MEs inventory system, it was pretty cut and dry.

Really? Complaining about the Roman Numerals? I find it much easier to ascertain that IX is > VII rather than choosing between Adumoniouminam or Vibrigladioina.

Last edited:
The roman numerals didn't bother me too much. It was that there were no catagories when selling your items. It was just one long line of stuff that you had to click through.

Still would of preferred something a little more cohesive. Those numbers didn't mean anything unless you took into the fact the maker as well. Some weapons were extremely strong and maybe *gerneric gun V* was a hell of a lot better than *Generic gun VII*. It all depended on the maker.

When trying to sell that in one long column it was a little confusing. I ended up just saying forget this and broke every weapon down as soon as I got it unless it was better than my own.

For this one I hope they have revamped that part of the game. It got annoying really fast.

Heh, thats funny, I was going to post here the only thing that really bothered me from that list was the inventory.

Whatever happened to drag and drop icons with mouseovers? Whenever I have scrolling lists of text labeled items you've made me play spreadsheet manager, not a game.

ME was even worse with it's 6(?) visible items at a time lists. I'm sitting 18-24 inches from a 23" monitor, you're allowed to use a font smaller than 36pt. DA was "better", hopefully they've learned something there.

There's no attachment to any item, they don't look unique or interesting, they're just a lines in the spreadsheet. Yeah! I got gun #7, I can finally upgrade from gun #6. DA is essentially uses the same boring item ranks but at least they came up with more creative labels for their item names ( and then listed the rank in the description ).

Heck, Borderlands had a better interface than ME and that makes you use the keyboard half the time.

My top 3:

1. Better character system
2. Better loot system
3. Better NPC control

Consolitis strikes again.

#3. Better NPC Control

That is highest on my list.

#3. Better NPC Control

That is highest on my list.

The NPC control in Mass Effect worked just fine for me. I never touched them.

I completely ignored my companions in combat and hoped their AI was good enough to use their skills semi-appropriately and treated them as no more than automatons with guns that follow me no matter what.

I hope solely for your guys' enjoyment that they improve the controls but at the same time I hope they don't make it a more of a requirement at the same time.

They do need to improve the on ship inventory management so I can alter every companions equipment through the interface and I don't have to use the individual lockers.

The NPC control in Mass Effect worked just fine for me. I never touched them.

I completely ignored my companions in combat and hoped their AI was good enough to use their skills semi-appropriately and treated them as no more than automatons with guns that follow me no matter what.

I hope solely for your guys' enjoyment that they improve the controls but at the same time I hope they don't make it a more of a requirement at the same time.

They do need to improve the on ship inventory management so I can alter every companions equipment through the interface and I don't have to use the individual lockers.

My primary issue with NPC AI was their moronic way of moving around, and not finding cover as ordered. They kept getting stuck or standing in the way of each other - and I think at least 50% of ALL combat had at least one of them dying SOLELY due to their abysmal movement/pathfinding algorithms. Thankfully, the BIFARS - Bioware Instant Free and Automated Resurrection System (TM) - was in place to make the issue insignificant :)

In fact, I found the whole combat system to be rather sub-par - especially for a game using the Unreal engine.

But, I hear the sequel's going to be a lot more fluid, and I think that's a good move with this engine.

Sad but true ... very much like NWN 1 - SP & Henchmen ...

Huh - nobody is complaining about my pet peeve. Namely, the difficulty level. The opening of the game was hard, the first planet you went off to (whichever it was) was pretty hard, the next planet was easier, the next was getting downright trivial. Once you got those spectre weapons, the challenge vanished.

I noticed a bit of this in Dragon Age, too, but it wasn't nearly as bad. Hopefully Mass Effect 2 will have better scaling, too.

Hopefully Mass Effect 2 will have better scaling, too.
Was just going to mention this as my no. 1:

- Less (blatant) scaling.

This ties into better inventory system / items. While the different weapons were interesting enough at mark one, I lost interest in upgrading by the time they reached mark III. Terrible.

Oh, and also:

- no side quest planets, please … I'd prefer better side quests, but if they are as boring as the non-essential planets were, I'd rather not have them at all.

My biggest problem by far with Mass Effect 1 (and with NWN1) was the lack of variety in the environments especially the interiors. I enjoyed ME1 a whole lot but hopefully they will improve this in ME2.

I didn't find the NPC AI to be any worse than in other Bioware games. The inventory system, while certainly no game breaker, was incredibly annoying.

One thing I would love to see though is more than 3 active party members.

Lack of variety and boring exploration are the two only issues that bother me in ME1. You have so much interesting lore and so many (seemingly) interesting places, but only the main quest planets are actually interesting.

I would say it is better not to have an inventory system at all than to have ME1's system. 90% of the inventory decisions you make are so damn obvious that I was bored out of my mind. The items were not interesting either. So in my opinion, the first game would have been better off with a light FPS inventory. which keeps track of the number of grenades etc.

Dragon Age is a vast improvement, since it rewards you more for thinking about your inventory. There are interesting options for your party.

I have one major complaint which makes me totally uninterested in ME series after playing the 1st one.
- Meaningful stats/skills!

In ME I could pretty much play and advance 10 levels without assigning any points, and could kill things just fine. I also didn't need to use any of the special attacks. That to me means the game is simply just a disguised shooter and not an RPG

Mass Effects inventory system is worse than Ultima I, and I am not exaggerating. In Ultima I on C64 it was both easily monitored and easily controlled.

Mass Effect had awesome graphics, awesome story and awesome story, but the gameplay was simply poor. It was weak as an actiongame and weak as an rpg, and the combination of them didn't solve the problem.

There are two things about ME that really need to be fixed in the sequel:

1. Morality system. Who was the genius that had the bright idea to tie the cap on dialogue skills to Shepard's morality? This effectively penalizes you for taking the middle option in conversations and makes playing a charming bastard or an intimidating hero impossible outside of new game plus. I'd also appreciate if Renegade options were less Jack Bauer and more Hank Quinlan, but that's probably asking too much from a game about a cool space marine kicking ass.

2. Dialogue wheel. It has a nasty side effect of limiting each dialogue node to three possible responses. Compare to the behemoths that are conversations with Ravel or Atris. Yeah.

Back
Top Bottom