Mount&Blade - Steam Sale

Can I install the multitude of mods with this version ??? Does anyone know ??

Cheers,
L.

Can I install the multitude of mods with this version ??? Does anyone know ??

Yes, you just need to put them in the appropriate directories under "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\mount and blade" rather than "C:\Program Files\mount and blade" that you'd use for regular install.

Also, by buying Mount and Blade, you get a legit key which gives you a much better chance to join the Multiplayer Beta:

http://beta.taleworlds.com/apply.aspx

You can even use the key you get from Steam to unlock the demo download from TaleWorlds' site.

I honestly don't understand this.

This game and others are sold in boxed form for normally the full game price here in Germany - and then "thrown away" for dirt cheap at Steam ???

I become kind of angry - because this makes me feel as if we here in Germany (or elsewhere) subsidize the the low-price sales of Steam and elsewhere ...

My *guess* is that, whenever the major retailers here in the USA take a title off their shelves, Steam is given a green light to sell it for whatever they can get for it. If they can only sell it for $5 then that's $5 more than the companies would have gotten otherwise. Plus it gets more people into the game which could mean a bigger fan base looking forward to a sequel.

So yeah, I guess Germany is "subsidizing" this in a way, simply because more germans are interested in buying a game like this. The demand is greater so they can keep the price higher for longer.

This game and others are sold in boxed form for normally the full game price here in Germany - and then "thrown away" for dirt cheap at Steam ???

I become kind of angry - because this makes me feel as if we here in Germany (or elsewhere) subsidize the the low-price sales of Steam and elsewhere …

So, everyone complains that Digital Distribution should be cheaper than retail -- but then that retail is subsidising them?

There's a problem with the key-gen server at the moment on this one, so any new purchasers won't be able to play this until it is resolved.

I become kind of angry - because this makes me feel as if we here in Germany (or elsewhere) subsidize the the low-price sales of Steam and elsewhere …

It's not just Germany, Ive bought quite a few of these games retail for a lot more, just to see them on steam later on sale. Trine, for example, just bout it off the shelf for 20 bucks, it was on sale for 5 the other day.

Steam is also going w/ our time frame, thus your boxed version is probably hitting your shores at a time when it's hit our bargain bin 6 mos ago

Steam is also going w/ our time frame, thus your boxed version is probably hitting your shores at a time when it's hit our bargain bin 6 mos ago

Yes, this makes some sense.

Only that Mount & Blade is available here in Germany - boxed - since a few months already.

What I also don't quite understand is why the makers of these games give in with these cheap prices. I mean - 10 Dollars would have been enough, no ?
But now it's 5 ... how are they supposed to make any profits from this ?
With 10 Dollars the profit margin would have been a little bit higher ... Especially i my assumption is right that the earnings would go *directly* to the developing company ...

It's a weekend-only sale - a limited time offer; I'm sure you've seen all sorts of super sales along these lines, including at retail. M&B is an old-ish game - how many sales would Steam make at the regular price? Two a week? Ten? Fifty? A front-page sale like this might generate thousands of impulse sales.

Presumably, the money would go to Paradox - they are the publisher.

Rempant speculation follows.

For a boxed copy, the retail margins are typically 30% at best. The full list price is USD$29, so 50x copies (and I think I'm being generous) would generate ~$1000 at wholesale. I believe the Steam split is in the vicinity of 60%/40%, so only 1000 sales @ $4.95 would generate ~$2000 for Paradox. In this example, Paradox makes double the money, there's a demonstrated flow-on after the sale finishes and more people will (if they like it) be interested in the upcoming Warband addon.

So, everyone complains that Digital Distribution should be cheaper than retail — but then that retail is subsidising them?

That was my thought ... I personally love seeing digital sales.

When all games are this price piracy will be a thing of the past and they will sell tons more copies without the additional cost of boxes etc. The way of the future.

When all games are this price piracy will be a thing of the past and they will sell tons more copies without the additional cost of boxes etc. The way of the future.

You'd think. And yet the Apple App store is full of people complaining about (not only) games costing $5-7 being "way too expensive". And these are often games whose production values approach those of console or PC releases of only a few years ago.

If you can spend the money on an IPhone I don't know why you'd complain about that price for a game. I think I'm true in saying it's not a cheap gadget.

Games like this simply won't get shelf space here in the states.

That said, I've bought two keys during the beta, and two full price after release.

You'd think. And yet the Apple App store is full of people complaining about (not only) games costing $5-7 being "way too expensive". And these are often games whose production values approach those of console or PC releases of only a few years ago.

But Apple has shifted not just the price scale but the EXPECTATIONS dramatically ... folks will pay up to $2 pretty easily ... $5 needs justification, and $10 needs to be 'mega AAA' ... and even then folks will complain.

Forget the speculation: yes, Taleworlds will make money on $5 sales. I read an article on RPS regarding World of Goo's pay-what-you-want sale. It included a chart showing volume moved on Steam compared to %discount. It turns out the more you discount the more total dollars you earn, all the way up to 75% off.

As soon as a game gets as cheap as $5, the pool of potential buyers increases exponentially to include people with no interest in combat, strategy, horses or even computer games. This is really a viable way for indie companies to squeeze some more dimes out of their product. Valve knows what they're doing, don't ever doubt it.

What bugs me more is that this flies in the face of Taleworld's quite innovative pay as you go beta-testing model. It doesn't bother me that I paid $22 for a (boxless) beta version that now sells for $5, but would I do it again if I thought a month after the full version went on the shelf it would be on sale for less than the beta?

Forget the speculation: yes, Taleworlds will make money on $5 sales. I read an article on RPS regarding World of Goo's pay-what-you-want sale. It included a chart showing volume moved on Steam compared to %discount. It turns out the more you discount the more total dollars you earn, all the way up to 75% off.

As soon as a game gets as cheap as $5, the pool of potential buyers increases exponentially to include people with no interest in combat, strategy, horses or even computer games. This is really a viable way for indie companies to squeeze some more dimes out of their product. Valve knows what they're doing, don't ever doubt it.

What bugs me more is that this flies in the face of Taleworld's quite innovative pay as you go beta-testing model. It doesn't bother me that I paid $22 for a (boxless) beta version that now sells for $5, but would I do it again if I thought a month after the full version went on the shelf it would be on sale for less than the beta?

Well, its been well over a month, and at this time you might find many standard releases in the bargain bin as well. So I am not convinced it really hurts the ToW model. In general however i think there are few games that would really fit the paid beta model anyway, i.e. M&B was special in the way that it had a core game that was functiona and was fun early on, and doesn't rely heavily on "single playthrough" attractors (such as a storyline).
Regarding the price issue its an interesting discussion. Jeff Vogel (in his blog) seems very adamant in his opinion that the low price policy of online platforms is very damaging to the cause of having complex indie games, although I think he was talking more about entry prices and not special sales. A good strategy will probably combine both, as they target different segments of the market.

Edit:
By the way, is there a good mod to improve the RPG aspects in M&B?

Back
Top Bottom