Age of Wonders 4 - Announced for May 2

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Age of Wonders 4 will be released on May 2:

Age of Wonders 4 | Announcement Trailer

Rule a fantasy realm of your own design in Age of Wonders 4! Explore new magical realms in Age of Wonders' signature blend of 4X strategy and turn-based tactical combat. Control a faction that grows and changes as you expand your empire with each turn.

Triumph Studios' award-winning strategy series has emerged into a new age, evolving the game's iconic empire building, role-playing, and warfare to the next level. A new storytelling event system and hugely customizable empires provide an endlessly replayable experience, where each game adds a new chapter to your ever-growing saga.

Powerful Wizard Kings have returned to the realms to reign as gods among mortals. Claim and master the Tomes of Magic to evolve your people, and prepare for an epic battle that will determine the ages to come.

Create te Empire of your wildest Fantasies

• Craft your followers by combining bodily forms, societal traits and arcane powers. Build anything from a clan of cannibal halflings to mystic moon elves, or recreate your favorite fantasy tropes
  • Seek powerful tomes of magic to enchant your armies and evolve your people! See your people physically change as they morph into angelic beings or scions of chaos to face their enemies.
  • Seek glory through brutal domination, cunning alliances, or ultimate arcane knowledge, and write your legacy into the very fabric of the realm itself!
Strategy meets Role-Playing like never before

• Every choice opens up new possibilities and tactical advantages; deep, multilayered strategy allows you to try new tactics or explore new powers at every turn
  • Tactical turn-based battles bring your armies to life, showcasing their power in an environment shaped by your decisions. From skirmishes with roaming monsters to vast sieges with dozens of units on each side, with the addition of a morale system and more features, every battle brings a fresh challenge
  • Tremendous variety in empires, units, and environments keep the game endlessly replayable. Age of Wonders is more moddable and open-ended than ever in the series' history
Make your Mark on a vast reactive World

• Explore a new realm with each game - or create your own! Challenge new variations and combinations of locations and features, from frozen wastelands ruled by ice queens to desolated ruins where dragons roam
  • A new event system provides unexpected levels of storytelling for 4X games. See your decisions shape the world around you, from growing cities and roaming armies to world-warping magic effects
  • Guide your empire to greatness - but the story doesn't end with your victory or defeat! Ascend your rulers to an in-game pantheon and unlock ways to further customize your experience. Encounter your own creations as potential rivals or allies in subsequent games, and experience the next chapter in your own story!
Thanks Henriquejr!

More information.

I loved AoW1 & 2 but remember being disappointed by the third game. I will certainly give a chance to this one. I miss playing this genre. The more recent ones (King's Bounty 2, Disciple Liberation) were not what I hoped for.

Interesting. I have fond memories of playing the first game 20 years ago, and a couple of years ago as well when my rig broke down for good and I borrowed a friend’s spare low-performance laptop for some weeks.

The third instalment was also good, although I did not appreciate its heavy inclusion of Steam-Punk elements. I'm a Tolkian fundamentalist when it comes to high fantasy and most fantasy RPGs with Steam-Punk elements seems to have these poorly tagged-on which only serves to break my emersion, with a few exceptions such as TES and Arcanum.

Likewise I hope the next AoW game won't be too 'tainted' with tagged-on Steam-Punk elements.

Last edited:
Best news I had today, did not even know it was in production. Day 1 purchase for me. I love the series, played them all, loved AoW 3 the most - over 600 hrs on that title alone. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the good news :D

Such a strange one for me -
I loved HoMM series and this should be right up my alley as it's TB combat and has a strategy map- but I tried all 3 and none of them were fun to me.
Did you try Planetfall?

Well call me surprised...just kidding. Anyway every-time Triumph Studios announces a new game a small part of me hopes it will be a new Overlord game. Never happens though. :cry:

Such a strange one for me -
I loved HoMM series and this should be right up my alley as it's TB combat and has a strategy map- but I tried all 3 and none of them were fun to me.
You're not alone. I couldn't get into them either. Although to be fair, They were pretty dated by the time I got around to purchasing the original trilogy.

You're not alone. I couldn't get into them either. Although to be fair, They were pretty dated by the time I got around to purchasing the original trilogy.
I still sometimes play HoMM3 :D And I bought AoW3 on release. Still didn't work. Oh well. I have enough games to play, butI don't see myself buying AoW4

I really enjoyed AoW: Shadow Magic. AoW3 didn't really click with me. I will keep an eye on AoW4. Some of the changes in customization look interesting.

Excellent news. I couldn't get into planetfall and haven't really had time to give it another solid shot but AoW3 is excellent.

Like most here, very happy to hear this news. I like the first three games; especially the first two. Planetfall was a disappointment for me. There were some design choices and ux issues at launch that turned me off of it; maybe it's improved since then but I never went back to it after putting in a few dozen hours. I hope those issues don't find their way into this game.

And as a couple other people have mentioned, how refreshing to get a release announcement so close to actual release.

With this, Conquest of Eo and the new MoM, it looks like good days for fantasy 4x fans.

Very nice! That's exactly was I was hoping for when I heard that Triumph Studios would make an announcement.

No, I haven't. Why ?
Well, you tried all three Age of Wonders, but there's a 4th in Age of Wonders: Planetfall. I tried one of the earlier AoW games (I'm not even sure which one, but it was long ago) and didn't enjoy it much while I had a lot of fun with Planetfall.

Some of the worded dialogue from the live presentation worries me.

Age of Wonders 4 Announcement Show and Gameplay Reveal
Join Lennart and Jordi from Triumph Studios for the first look at Age of Wonders 4, the first sequel in nine years for the award-winning Age of Wonders fantasy strategy game series. Explore new magical realms in Age of Wonders’ signature blend of 4X strategy and turn-based tactical combat. Control a faction that grows and changes as you expand your empire with each turn.
Sounds like there wont be a story, but one big game with story events, and they are using some of the newer elements added in Age of Wonders: Planetfall like base building.

The customization is nice touch as well can't wait to create demon dark elves.

The first developer diary was also shared online.
This is just a short overview of things we’re doing with AoW4. Of course many loved features make a return: multiplayer, underground, heroes and their arsenals; all have seen evolutions big and small. This is a fully loaded sequel!

From the time of this announcement to our release on May 2nd, there will be an intense barrage of development journals and other community activities, where we’ll take a deeper look at the many facets of this game: gameplay features, art, etc. We hope you like what we have to show and we’re looking forward to your feedback.

Check back next week where principal designer Tom Bird is going to take a closer look at the building and evolving factions using the Cosmic Affinities and Tomes of Magic !
If you like what you’ve seen - please Wishlist the game!

Well, you tried all three Age of Wonders, but there's a 4th in Age of Wonders: Planetfall. I tried one of the earlier AoW games (I'm not even sure which one, but it was long ago) and didn't enjoy it much while I had a lot of fun with Planetfall.
Oh ok - I may have a look at it. Is it much different to AoW 3 ?

Back
Top Bottom